Chapter Fifty-One

Chapter Fifty-One

Temperance had never felt anything in her life that could compare to this kiss....

Tanner's lips were warm and gentle against her own and his arms wrapped around her tenderly and held her body close to his in an embrace that was full of love.

Temperance felt as if she were floating off the ground. Her heart thundered against her ribs but it wasn't anxiety that was the cause. It was something else. A delicious tingling heat started in the top of her head and spread all the way to the ends of her toes.

Slowly and with a moan of frustration, Tanner's lips were taken from hers and he rested his brow against her forehead. "I love you, Temperance."

Temperance smiled, keeping her eyes closed and basking in the glow, heat and memory of their first true kiss--her first kiss with her husband! "I love you too."

"And I love you too!" Jackson's voice exclaimed just before his arms were wrapping tight around Temperance's legs. Temperance smiled and lifted her son into her arms as the onlookers applauded and cheered in their happiness for the married couple.

The rest of the day became a blur. Dancing, games, food and happiness all swirled together. Temperance was exhausted but still floating when darkness fell and she walked out of Jackson's room after tucking him in.

Tanner was waiting in the hall and he held out his hand to her. Without a word, Temperance took his hand and let him lead her out onto the back porch to find that there was a blanket spread out in the grass beneath the stars. Flickering candles illuminated the cheese, grapes and wine that had been placed there with care.

Tanner was giving Temperance something else that no one else had ever given to her....romance.

"Tanner..." Temperance looked up at him. "When did you do this?"

"While you were changing your dress and tucking Jackson in. Come on and sit down with me."

Temperance let Tanner lead her to the blanket and they sat down together. She smoothed her simple brown wool skirt around her legs and couldn't seem to wipe the happy smile from her face.

"You seem to be in a good mood," Tanner noted and Temperance couldn't help but notice that he was smiling pretty big himself.

"I am," Temperance laughed lightly. "I never once thought I'd find a man like you, Tanner, not after Yancy found me... and then when you were gone I never imagined you'd be back. I'm happier than I've ever been and you gave that to me. Thank you."

"No thanks necessary, Temp." Tanner leaned forward and kissed her lips gently. Temperance didn't pull away and didn't stiffen. Her eyes slid closed and she simply enjoyed the pressure of his mouth against hers. She enjoyed the racing heartbeat, the way her body seemed to come up off the blanket...

"You don't know how damn happy I am that I can finally kiss you, Temp. Thank you for giving me that."

Temperance didn't say anything. Instead she just moved closer to him and laid her head on his shoulder. They sat in comfortable silence a while each of them lost in thoughts and listening to the crickets and frogs serenading them.

Then Tanner pulled away and reached in his pocket. Temperance frowned when she saw the velvet box he pulled out. She already had her ring--she spun the simple gold band on her finger--so what was this?

"I wanted to give you something..."

"Tanner, you've already given me enough!" Temperance assured him, referring to so much more than physical possessions.