Chapter Fifty-Three

Start from the beginning

Tanner cleaned up at the river and headed inside wearing nothing but his trousers. He checked on a slumbering Jackson and then made his way to the bedroom he now shared with his wife. He saw her on the bed curled beneath the blankets and sighed. Temperance was asleep. That meant he wouldn't get to talk to her tonight.

With his shoulders slumped, Tanner went to the wardrobe and pulled out a clean shirt. He was just about to slide into it when he heard the mattress shift followed by the sound of Temperance's light footsteps across the bedroom floor.

Tanner didn't move--he didn't even draw a breath--as she neared him and her tender fingertips touched the bare skin of his back. Tanner found himself trembling beneath her touch and he heard her sharp intake of breath.

"Scars..." she whispered. "You have scars..."

"Yeah..." Tanner cleared his throat. "I do."

Tanner balled the shirt he held in his fists and squeezed it painfully tight when Temperance's lips danced across his skin.

Holy hell! What was the woman doing?!

Tanner might have patience and the self-control of a monk at times but even the strongest damn monk would break under temptations like these!

"Temperance....." Tanner whispered, his voice tight and his throat dry.

Temperance's voice shook when she spoke again. "I want you, Tanner. I want to give myself to you. I've never given myself to any other man...."

Tanner dropped the shirt to the floor and turned slowly. He didn't dare touch her for fear that his control would snap completely and he would leap upon her like some starved beast. He had been waiting on this moment a long long time but feared it was too good to be true...

"Temp, are you sure?" Tanner asked, searching her eyes. "Are you certain this is what you want?"

Tanner could see the fear in her eyes but also the determination and the want that was nearly his undoing. "I'm sure, Tanner. You are my husband and you love me.. You would never hurt me... I know it can be good between two people who love one another. Show me that, Tanner. Show me that it can be good."

Temperance's emerald green eyes were wide and pleading. Tanner growled low in his throat and gently gripped her upper arms through the thin white fabric of her nightdress. He stroked her gently with his thumbs and his gaze dropped to her lips.

Her tongue darted across that full bottom lip and Tanner slowly swooped down and captured her mouth beneath his own. The kiss was gentle as Tanner struggled to reign in his desire.

If he took Temperance with the amount of passion that he wanted to release, he was afraid he would frighten her. Tanner had not had any woman since very early on in the war, he had never been a man who needed women the way other men seemed to, but dear God he wanted this woman, his wife, his one and only.

Temperance's palms splayed against his bare chest and Tanner felt the heat from that touch clear into his soul. She may as well be branding him with her touch.

Tanner let his lips wander down and caress her jaw as she moaned his name. He tasted the sweetness of her neck and nibbled at her ear. She gasped and Tanner smiled against her skin when her legs buckled and he wrapped his arms around her waist to hold her upright.

Tanner let one hand travel up her side as his lips once again sought hers. He rubbed one calloused thumb along her breast and felt her nipple harden beneath his touch.

Temperance stiffened and pulled away.

Tanner felt disappointment settle deep into his gut but he worked very hard to keep that particular emotion from showing on his face. Instead he took her hands as she stared at the floor and took deep gasping breaths.

"Temperance, this is me. It's Tanner. I'm not them. I won't force you. If you aren't ready then you only needed to say so and....."

Temperance's head came up and she put her hand over his mouth. She shook her head and bit her lip. "I want you, Tanner. I trust you."

Tanner felt as if a bolt of lightning has struck him. Awareness spread from his head to his toes and he couldn't have held back or hidden the intensity of his passion from her if he had tried desperately.

Tanner scooped her up in his arms and carried her to the bed as his lips devoured hers with a hungry desperation. What shocked him was that her hands buried themselves in his thick blond hair and her lips devoured his with that same desperation.

Tanner sat Temperance on her feet beside the bed and stooped down to grip the hem of her nightdress. He searched her eyes for permission and when she nodded he made short work of pulling that fabric over her head and dropping it to the floor.

Tanner stood there in mesmerized shock. He had known that Temperance was a beautiful woman but, damn. She was more than even his imagination had been able to dream up.

Long, shapely legs, a perfect red triangle of curls between her thighs and full curved hips leading to a small waist and the most enchanting pair or full, dark-tipped breasts that he had ever seen. And those freckles were indeed sprinkled over nearly every pale, creamy inch of her.

He heard her clear her throat and she tried to cover herself with her hands. Tanner shook his head and somehow managed to tear his gaze away from her body to look into her eyes. "Don't hide yourself away from me, Temp. You are the most perfect sight I've ever seen, sweetheart...."

Temperance dropped her arms and swallowed hard. Tanner kissed her tenderly and let his hands slowly caress her skin. He started at her shoulders and traced her long, slender arms with his palms before dropped his hands to her hips and gripping them softly.

Temperance moaned against his mouth and Tanner once again let his lips leave hers and move downward. Her cheek, her ear, her neck and her collarbone were his for the tasting and Tanner tasted every inch.

Temperance had a grip on his shoulders as he did so and he could tell that she was feeling pleasure and enjoying his touch as her grip tightened and her moans became louder.

Tanner knew that Temperance had never before been shown pleasure. Never had any of those bastards who had taken her body by force bothered to show her just how much a man could do for a woman.... Tanner had no problem being the man who taught her that particular lesson.

He bent lower and without warning took her tight nipple into his mouth. Temperance cried out and her nails dug into his skin. Tanner let out a growl of pain against her heated flesh and Temperance loosened her hold as she pulled away from him.

"What are you doing?" she gasped. "What are you doing to me?"

Tanner saw her flushed cheeks and the rapid rising and falling of her chest which didn't come from fear--but from pleasure. He smiled and caressed her cheek with his hand. "You said you trust me, Temp. You wanted me to show you how it could be when you give your body to someone who loves you. Let me do that, sweetheart. Let me worship you."