The man shrugged and looped his horse's reins over the porch banister, "If you can provide me with a good meal and a soft place to sit, I'm willing to take my chances. It's been quite a few days since I've had either one."

Temperance chewed her lip. Something about this man seemed off--but it might have simply been because she had been here alone for so long. She pointed in the general direction of town, "It's only a three hour ride to town, sir, and they'll have a much better selection of food I'm sure."

He laid a hand over his soft middle. "Please miss, I don't mean you any harm at all. I don't have any money to pay for a meal in town. My name is Yancy Bates and I just got done fighting in that terrible war, miss. I'm on my way home but still have a good three weeks on a horse to get there. Please let me come on in and get a good meal in me and maybe put some food in my rucksack. I'd be more than happy to do any work around here that needs done in return for the food."

"What side?" Temperance whispered.

Yancy frowned, "Pardon?"

"Which side did you fight for?"

Yancy's fingers danced across Robert's jacket which Temperance had airing out on the porch banister, "The Union, Miss. I fought for the true America."

Temperance sighed. She couldn't deny the man a meal. He might have been someone that had helped her father and brothers at some point and God would not appreciate her not returning such a favor.

"Come on in then and I'll cook you something to eat. I was just about to bake a cake."

"Oh," he smiled as he walked toward the steps. "What's the occasion?"

"My birthday," Temperance replied, stepping into the house. "I am sixteen today."

The man followed her in and closed the door behind him, "Well, ain't that something."

***

Yancy turned out to be a pleasant enough house guest. He had fed the animals for her and brought in some wood from outside while she cooked. After a good meal he had gone out and cleaned the barn and then he had sang her an off key rendition of 'Happy Birthday' which had made her laugh before they'd eaten the cake she had baked.

They had found themselves out on the porch talking for hours afterward. Yancy had listened to her carry on about the loss of her father and brothers, the loss of Robert and then the loss of her mother and sisters. He had seemed truly sad for her. Temperance hadn't realized just how lonely she had been until company had arrived.

Yancy ended up staying for supper as well and then he looked at the clock, "I should probably head on," he noted.

Temperance didn't want him to leave. She didn't want to go back to being alone just yet. She rose from her chair, "Why don't you stay here for the night? You can sleep on the sofa--I have extra pillows and blankets. It's nearly dark and surely you'd be more comfortable on the sofa than the hard ground. Tomorrow I have to be heading into town since supplies are getting short and you can accompany me... I've been worried about making the trip alone."

Yancy nodded, "You're right about it sounding more comfortable, miss, and I'd hate to have something happen to you making that trip alone--" he paused, "Are you sure you don't mind me staying the night? I don't want to overstay my welcome..."

"I'm sure."

Temperance gave him blankets and a pillow before she bid him goodnight and went into her mother's old room. She donned her nightdress and slid between the sheets, thankful that she hadn't spent her birthday alone--the company of a stranger was still better than that horrible silence. Then again he wasn't a stranger any longer. He was now a friend.

Life seemed to enjoy throwing her curves these days but she was taking them all in stride just as her mother had always taught her to. And now she'd learned that just because someone looked unpleasant that didn't mean they truly were unpleasant. Yancy had proved to be a good man.

Temperance was smiling for the first time in a long time as she closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Hours later, a sudden movement pulled Temperance from her slumber. Opening her eyes and straining to peer through the darkness, Temperance saw dark eyes glittering as they leered at her.

"Yancy?" she whispered, the words sounding small and insignificant in the oppressive darkness. What was he doing in the room? Was something wrong?

She heard him let out a chuckle which made her blood run cold. Opening her mouth to speak again, Temperance was quickly silenced when one of his large dirty hands clamped over her lips while the other closed around her throat.

"You're going to make me fortune, pretty girl," he growled as he lowered his face toward hers and sniffed at her hair. He let out a groan, "Damn, you smell good."

Tears leaked from the corners of Temperance's eyes. Her heart cried out with desperation. Why was her friend doing this to her? His face was hard and Temperance realized that she had indeed misjudged him. Her first instincts had been correct. Yancy was a bad man.