William put his arm around her, urging her ahead of him. “Henry, I’d like you to meet Liz Pargeter. Liz, this is Henry Phillips.”

“Ah yes, the astonishing Miss Pargeter. So pleased to meet you, my dear.” He looked over the wire rim of his spectacles. “I am fortunate indeed to witness the miracle of your arrival.”

She smiled at him, not entirely sure she deserved to be called a miracle.

William chuckled. “Henry has been in a difficult position ever since he attended Theological College. I’ve lost count of the times we debated the Church’s position on reincarnation, but your arrival has laid at least one of his doubts to rest.”

The cleric grinned. “I would hardly call them debates.”

“What would you call them?”

He turned to Liz. “As a student I would come home, so full of my own importance and newly acquired knowledge. William would listen to my litany of youthful opinions and politely demolish each of my arguments in turn.”

“Merely opening your mind to alternatives. Giving you the benefit of my experience.” He gave Liz a squeeze. “Henry wants to ask you a few questions.”

She looked at the vicar. “Oh?”

“Considering the exceptional circumstances I would like to put my mind at rest on a few points.”

“He thinks I’ve coerced you into marrying me,” William suggested in a conspiratorial whisper.

“Given the alacrity of your decision I thought it only right to make enquiries.”

William tapped his fingers on the back of a chair. “I’ll wait outside. I wouldn’t want Henry accusing me of witness intimidation.”

They sat down on the front row, the Reverend Phillips spreading himself over two of the narrow chairs. “I’m just an old man satisfying himself that he’s doing the right thing.” He removed his glasses, wiping them with a cloth from his pocket. “Although considering how long William has been waiting for this I shouldn’t be surprised at his impatience.” He paused then, his sharp grey eyes finding hers. “It must have been a shock, learning about his extraordinary life.”

She remembered the moment in the attic, when she’d thought he was mad. “Yes, to begin with.”

“And he says you two met for the first time a little over a week ago?”

“That’s right.” Liz glanced over her shoulder towards the door, wishing she could be outside.

“I imagine it all came as quite a surprise to you. I was concerned that you would accept his proposal so quickly, considering your short period of acquaintance.”

He’d made a good point, one that deserved an honest answer. “I said yes because I love him. I didn’t realise it to begin with, but I felt something for him the first time we met. It’s hard to describe. We’re connected in a way I’m not sure I fully understand, but I can’t imagine feeling this way with anyone else.” She looked down at her plaited fingers, remembering the warm glow in her stomach whenever he looked into her eyes. “My feelings for William seem so natural, as though I was born to love him. If I can free him from the shackles that have imprisoned him by becoming his wife, I’ll do it. I think he’s suffered long enough, don’t you?”

“Suffered? An interesting choice of words. William must have already shared his opinion with you regarding his immortality.”

“I know he sees himself as a freak.”

“Do you think he is?”

She shook her head.

“Based on the dictionary definition I suppose he is, but I prefer to think of the curse as a gift from God. His road has been long and he had to fight many of his own personal demons but the Fitzwilliam Darcy who resides with us today is a beacon in a troubled sea. He’s a good man, Miss Pargeter, the likes of which we meet rarely these days. Although his unusual circumstances means he has to live in shadow he helps, supports and guides in so many different ways.”

“Mrs Reynolds told me about his godchildren.”

He sat back. “Yes, here in the village we are all fortunate to benefit from his benevolence first hand, but the children of Pemberley were only the beginning. His charitable concerns now span the globe.”

“He’s never mentioned any of that.”

“William tends to shroud his good deeds in secrecy, for obvious reasons.” He paused, staring at the crucifix on the wall as though seeking divine inspiration. “When we were children we all looked up to him as one would a favourite uncle. As adults he became our adviser, confidante, even a close friend to some of us.” He shuffled on his chairs and cleared his throat. “My personal beliefs and training made it difficult for me to accept his conviction that reincarnation would provide his reward. It is not a tenet that sits easily with me. If you and he marry do you think he will receive the blessing he has so long wished for?”

The memories from her regression remained clear in her mind, clearer almost than those from her own childhood. She no longer doubted that she had been Elizabeth Darcy in a previous life, but would it be enough to end the curse? “I don’t know. Something led me to Pemberley for a reason, but what that reason was I think only time will tell.”

“That is a leap of faith, indeed.”

Liz nodded.

“And what about you? Are you happy with your choice? I would not want you to feel in any way obliged to marry William unless it is truly what you wish.”

“I’m happier than I’ve ever been. I can understand your concerns but you don’t need to worry. I wouldn’t have said yes if I hadn’t been sure it was the right thing for both of us.”

Henry stood up. “In that case I have one final question for you. What day would you like me to perform the service?”

“Oh. I…I don’t know. We should ask William.”

“I can tell you his answer. He will ask me to do it now, but I assume you will want a little time to prepare. Shall I put you down for Thursday?”

Thursday? As much as she wanted to be William’s wife, discovering it would be a reality within forty-eight hours made her pause. She imagined a small, intimate service; the two of them, the vicar and a couple of witnesses. There would be no time to buy a dress, but she didn’t care about the pomp and ceremony. She only wanted to be his wife. “Thursday is fine. Thank you.”

As she left the chapel, Liz squealed as William rushed out from his hiding place behind the porch. He grabbed her waist and swung her around in a circle. Before her feet had touched the ground he was already kissing her.

When they separated he pulled her close. “So? When are we getting married?”

Liz smiled at his excitement. He was like a kid waiting to open his Christmas presents. “Thursday.”

“That long? Why not now?”

“I thought there might be a few things we need to do beforehand. You’ll have to find a couple of witnesses…”

“That won’t be a problem. I’ll need to talk to Kelly about organising the wedding breakfast and there’s plenty we can do to keep occupied for the next two days. To start with, I can drive you to Buxton to buy a dress.”

“A wedding dress? No, I’d rather you didn’t. It’s a lot of expense for a few hours wear. The important thing is the ceremony, not what I look like.”

He glanced at her for a moment, his eyes squinting against the pale autumn sun. “You’re going to have to get used to me spending money on you at some point.”

Liz only shrugged. She never wanted to be like Amanda, accepting gifts as though they were some kind of sacrificial offering. “What can I say? My frugal habits are hard to break.”

William shook his head, smiling. “Come on, let’s go home.” They returned to the car and he drove straight ahead, out of the village.

She looked back. “Aren’t you going the wrong way?”

“There’s more than one way into Pemberley. You only know the visitor’s entrance.”