Chapter 2: Summer Nights

Start from the beginning

Following him outside and walking with him all the way to his car that is parked in front of my house. Romney leaned against his car and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Hey did you ever hear of what happened to Avery Iacano's parents?" Romney suddenly announced.

I shook my head, "nope. Is it bad?" I asked curiosuly.

"Yea," Romney mumbled nervously, "they died last month," he said lowly and glanced away from me.

"Wow..." I muttered, "I'm sure everyone else knows by now."

Romney nodded, "yea, the whole town knows and her parents viewing is tomorrow," he uttered softly.

"Are you going?"

"No, I don't know her that well and I hate going to funerals," he answered.

"You should get going," I said and patted his chest.

"I'll see you later, Summer," he replied and hugged me for a brief second.

"You're fine," I grumbled out as he pulled back.

"I know," he mumbled and grinned.

"Bye Romney!" I yelled loudly once he got in his car.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I pulled into the parking lot and looked around, hoping to find a reasonable parking space. Finally finding one, I shut off my car and got out. Today's hot and the air feels sticky and humid. The sliding doors to the grocery store opened and a blast of cool air hits my head. I grumbled in annoyance and fixed my hair as I walked more into the grocery store. I grabbed a small carrier basket and I started to browse the aisles.

Do I even need groceries? I just shook my head and randomly grabbed a box of cereal and placed it into the basket. Well, I need milk for cereal. Then moving to the refrigerated section of the market. I then felt my cell start to vibrate nosily against my leg. Reaching into my pocket and digging out my cell.

Dad: I trust you and I'm assuming that there wasn't a lot of people over. If you need the house to be more thoroughly cleaned. I suggest you call the cleaners.

Summer: I'll pay for the cleaners.

Dad: No, it's fine, just use my card.

Summer: R u sure?

I tapped send, but before my finger could met the screen I collided with a grocery basket. My cell dropped to the floor and I could feel a pain start to build on my hip.

"I didn't see you there, Summer," I heard Avery say in a bitter tone.

Reaching down, I grabbed my cell and stood back up, "it's okay, I got distracted by my phone," I commented.

Peering at Avery, if anything in a slightly annoyed way. But I stopped. Memories of earlier's conversation with Romney came flowing back to me. Avery's fucking parents died and out of no where.

I rubbed my neck and averted my eyes else where, "I-I-I heard a-a-about your parents," I stuttered.

I visibly cringed when I heard Avery breathe out harshly, "thanks for reminding me," she replied warily.

Looking back at her and my whole demeanor changed. She looks terrible: no make up, slightly skinnier, and there's no life displayed on her face.

Slapping my hands to my forehead, "crap! I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to!" I choked out.

Avery smiled, freaking smiled, "no it's fine. You didn't know and I shouldn't be getting mad, " she stated in an assuring tone.

"I...I...gosh. That sucks," I admitted hurriedly.

"I just don't think about it, " she murmured and placed her hand to her forehead, "it just happened so fast."

"Well, when's the viewing?" I interjected.

Avery looked at me and her gray eyes narrowed at me, "why are you asking? I barely know you," she claimed harshly.

I flinched, "hey! I'm just offering extra support, but I don't need to go anyways," I argued.

Avery sighed out loud, "I'm sorry, I just can't..." she uttered and brushed pass me.

I watched her leave and shook my head. I then looked back at her groceries and sighed. The least I can do is buy those groceries for her. Grabbing the handles of the basket and strolling slowly toward check out. Once I go out of the grocery store, at least four bags in each hand. I was watching to my car, but I caught sight of Avery leaning against her car and her hands covered her face. Changing directions, I headed straight toward her.

Dropping the grocery bags by my feet, "Avery," I called out.

She jerked, surprised by my sudden intrusion. Her eyes met my and she dropped her hand limp to her side.

"What are you doing?" she snarled at me.

I pointed to the bags, "I brought your groceries," I informed her politely.

"Why did you do that?" she whined softly.

"No reason in particular," I confessed shyly.

"Thanks," she spoke out gently.

"Bye then," I answered and started to walk away.

"Hey! Wait!" she called out.

I faced her again, "yea?"

She brushed her fingers through her hair and sighed, "the viewing will be at Green Hills Cemetery," she mumbled.

"I'll be there, thanks," I answered and smiled sheepishly at her.

"It starts at 7:00 pm, so just go, if you can," she quipped at me.

Avery's P. O. V.

I dropped the groceries onto the kitchen floor. Staring absentmindedly out the kitchen window. I can feel the build of tears start to well up in my eyes and my vision became blurry. Hurriedly wiping my tears away, there's no time for crying. My gaze then dropped down to the groceries Summer Luka had purchased for me.

Why did she buy those? I didn't ask her to and I don't really want her coming to my parents funeral. Why did she even come back here? Everyone who knew her, knew that her parents weren't home most of the time. I mean, yea I knew she was coming back and I knew that she when to East Bay. Who didn't. But I never saw her around campus.

But hearing her anxiously familiar voice at the bonfire that night, brought out some weird feelings. Then she looked at me and I lost my thought process. My god, she looks so different was the first thing I thought of when I saw her. She changed so much, that I was in total shock. And no, she didn't go from nerdy to some insane hot bombshell. It's the little features about her that changed.

In high school, she was okay looking, just average, and not really a head turner. She had pale skin, almost to the point where the skin color looked yellow, and her hair was a mess. I remember her hair being a light brown color and it was curly and kinda long. Her body was kinda ok, slightly skinny and slightly fat and she of coursed looked like a freaking high schooler, all young looking.

But now! Now, she looks good!

Summer is now the literal meaning of her name. She looks like a California girl to the T. Tall, tan, and seriously toned. Her color is totally different, a dark blonde and way longer. And from what I heard around at Evan's kick back, it turned out that she joined the swim team at East Bay and practiced regularly. The only feature that didn't change, were her eyes. Both of her eyes are a warm light brown. Her eyes are a just a comforting brown, all warm and soft.

That's when she stared at me back at the grocery store, I couldn't say no. But her eyes don't look puppyish. Their just so warm to look at. I momentarily forgot about my parents when I stared into her eyes.

They just reminded me of a warm summer night.

I placed my hand on my forehead and shook myself. I just need to focus on tomorrow and nothing else.