"I don't want you to fix that, for the thousandth time."

She frowned at me. "At least kiss me."

I leaned over and pecked her on the cheek, but she grasped the back of my neck when I tried to pull away.

"On the lips, you're not getting away with that." She pressed her lips against my own, her hand falling against my abdomen.

Her lips felt nothing like Adora's, and I didn't like it. Her body was nothing like Adora's.

She was nothing like Adora.

"Are you h-"

My phone vibrated and I pulled away with a sigh of relief.

[From:] Adora Franklin
work tomorrow?

I pursed my lips together at the thought of her.

[To:] Adora Franklin
Be here at nine.

Alessandra grabbed my hand and pulled me into her, but I felt my phone vibrate again.

[From:] Adora Franklin
is your wife going to be gone

[To:] Adora Franklin
Why does that matter?

I slipped my phone back in my pocket and Alessandra sighed, leaning against the fridge.

[From:] Adora Franklin
we don't mix well, and we definitely won't after what happened today

What happened today.

What had happened today? I'd fucked the babysitter.

Great.

~*~

Adora

I took deep breaths as I stood in front of the Kings' door, biting down on my bottom lip as I reached forward for what felt like the thousandth time.

No. Not yet. Get yourself together.

I blew out a breath and shook my head. "Open the door, Adora," I said out loud, scolding myself for being such a kid about it.

I opened the door and closed my eyes, holding my breath as I took a step inside.

"Mi amor!"

I smiled, opening my arms for the boys to run into. "Hi, bebés!"

They both pressed kisses to my cheeks and I let out the breath I'd been holding in.

"How are you, niñera?" Freddy asked, shooting me a toothy smile.

I smiled and nodded. "I'm good, Fred, how are you?"

"Muy bien," he said, making me giggle.

I felt his presence. I felt him, even though I couldn't see him.

Santiago King walked downstairs, clasping his watch on his wrist. My heart seemed to stop beating for a few seconds.

I had to act like it didn't bother me.

I cleared my throat and stood up, earning a quick glance from Santiago. He seemed to brush me off quickly.

He leaned against the counter and raked his eyes down me, lifting an eyebrow.

"You weren't supposed to be here until nine."

"I know," I said, "but I thought we needed to talk."

I sat down on one of the stools in front of the island, watching his lips purse together into a tight line.

"About? Do you need more days off, or something?"

I furrowed my brows together, cocking my head over. "Santiago, we had sex."

It was nothing but a deadpan, and he flexed his jaw muscle. "Say it louder."

I folded my arms over my chest. "You can't act like it didn't happen because you and I both know it did."

"I'm not acting like it didn't happen, Adora. I actually have thought of it quite a bit."

He shot me a sarcastic smile and I narrowed my eyes in his direction.

"But I wasn't the same person when it happened," he said, "I was blowing off steam."

"Yeah? What would you possibly have to blow off steam over? As far as the whole city of Seattle is concerned, you have a perfect life."

He chuckled. "You know that's not true. My wife is cheating on me, and it's not that hard to notice."

I threw my hands up. "You said it, not me."

"Just know it's not going to happen again. Okay?"

I nodded and jutted my bottom lip out. "Yeah, yeah it can't. No one can know."

He nodded, clenching his jaw. "But no one will know."

"And how are you so sure?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow up at him.

"I'm Santiago King. I can clear whatever happens to me in less than a second."

"But you can't clear your conscience," I said, "you'll still know you cheated on your wife."

He shrugged, eyebrows shooting up. "If she gets to have fun, why don't I?"

"San-"

"She can't have it all," he whispered, "and I won't let her. I'm going to get ready for work."

I watched as Santiago King walked away from me, leaving me in shock as he usually did.