Chapter 28

"There's none so blind as those who will not listen."

― Neil Gaiman, American Gods

Luke was shown around the rest of the house after tea and found it to be just as impressive, yet somehow welcoming, as the main floor.

There were three levels, the second one containing the study, the library, the drawing room, the dining room and the third floor with the bedrooms. Lilly was clearly very proud of her home and led him around joyfully, sharing amusing anecdotes about different rooms. She was proud, he noticed, but she didn't brag. Her pride came from a genuine love for her home and many happy years spent there. It made him happy to see her so joyous, so excited about it.

Once Luke had seen almost the entirety of the house Lilly took him aside and told him about how Helen had dealt with seeing the letter and what had transpired between them afterwards.

"And I know that she'll be better off without him but I can't help but feel guilty. Do you think it's right? What we did I mean, and should I feel guilty about it?"

"Yes, I do think it's right, we saved George Stone from marrying a woman he was not particularly fond of and by doing so we helped Helen. Your guilt is natural, I'd be concerned if you were not feeling anything." He kissed her forehead. "You are kind, and kindness is a rare trait."

"Am I kind though? Was what we did kind?"

"It was," he hesitated, running his tongue over his lip thoughtfully, "perhaps not kind, but we did what we could to help and that is all we can do."

"I hope you're right."

"I am, trust me Lilly. It is over and done with and when Helen finds true love, which I sincerely hope she does, than she'll have you to thank for helping her get there. You did a good thing."

"Even if it was conniving."

"Yes, I think so."

That conversation eased her guilt and the next day she was distracted by the arrival of Thomas, Alice's previous betrothed.

"Lord Carlyle to see you," the butler announced while the family were at breakfast.

"Send him in," Richard said uneasily. Lilly and Alice exchanged nervous glances as the butler retreated, returning a few moments later with Thomas Carlyle in tow.

"Good morning Lord Carlyle, would you like something to eat?" Richard greeted him cordially.

"No, I would not thank you. I got your letter, Lady Alice, is this the fellow you decided you were going to wed instead of me?" He pointed to Luke, barreling on before anyone could correct him. "You, good sir, have besmirched both your honour and, more importantly, the honour of this lady."

"It's not him," Nathaniel tried to cut in but Lord Carlyle hushed him. "Do not try and take the blame off him, good sir, he's obviously seduced the young lady through ignoble means!"

"Did Lady Alice somehow slip through the grease in your hair? Is that what happened?" Luke asked coldly.

"You worm," suddenly Lord Carlyle lunged at Luke but Nathaniel intervened, grabbing the man by the back of the collar.

"You are mistaken, my good man," Nathaniel pulled Carlyle back. "I am Nathaniel, the man who is going to marry Lady Alice and it is not I who had besmirched anyone's honour. The only honour that has been touched is your honour, whatever little of it you have, and by you. I ask you to get out of this house and never return." Everyone had fallen silent, watching the two men, nearly nose to nose, intently.