Chapter 12

"It make one's mouth hurt to speak with such forced merriment."

― David Sedaris, Holidays on Ice

Lilly took her place between Alice and Oliver, feeling the tension like a physical blow.

Supper went agonizingly slowly and Lilly endured furtive glances from Helen, pointed courtesy from Oliver and almost no acknowledgement from Alice. The latter spoke excitedly about a letter she had received from her betrothed back in Lincolnshire and she spent the majority of the first course gushing over a ball her betrothed's family were going to host in January.

Finally supper was finished and Lilly stood up to retreat to her bedroom but before she got very far Isabella spoke up.

"Lilly dear, get your outdoor things we're going to the village."

"Why?" There was a sinking feeling in Lilly's chest.

"Carolling at St. Mary's and everybody's going," Lady Mary replied brightly.

"Fine, I'll be down in a moment."

"And do something about your hair!" Isabella called after her.

Lilly reached her room and sat at her vanity, pulling the bell for the maid who arrived a moment later.

"Please fix up my hair, apparently it's necessary," the maid nodded and set about brushing out Lilly's hair.

Once that was out of the way Lilly took up her cloak and gloves and joined the rest of her family in the entrance hall.

"Perfect, we've got skates in the coach for you, is everyone ready?" Richard grinned and the whole pack, including Oliver and Arabella, set out and separated into the two carriages.

The town was ten minutes away and soon Lilly could see the lights twinkling happily in the snow.

There were a few coaches congregated around the church and a crowd of townsfolk, chattering happily.

The Thorpes and Tiffanys alighted into the snow covered town and even Lilly, as black as her mood was, thought the town looked very pretty indeed and she thought perhaps the evening wouldn't be as unpleasant as she had thought. Until two more people entered her line of vision and she had a sudden desire to be swallowed into the earth.

"Sir Thorpe! How are you? Sir Edgar as well? My, everyone really is here." David Ovendon beamed as he and Lord Grimshaw made their way over.

"Lord Ovendon, how do you do? Lord Grimshaw a pleasure," Richard beamed and everyone smiled or shook hands with the two newcomers.

"Lady Lillian," David smiled courteously and she returned the gesture, keenly aware of her reaction to the betrothal.

"Lady Lillian I hope you have recovered," Lord Grimshaw's smile was cooler but he still did not look displeased.

"Very much, thank you."

"The carols will start soon, we should go in," Sir Edgar announced and the group started into the church, the townsfolk giving way.

"You do not look particularly happy," Lord Grimshaw murmured to Lilly as they found their seats. "Don't you believe in glad tidings and joy to all men?"

"I believe in false pretences of goodwill which only increases during the holiday season."

"You're truly optimistic."

"I'm only being honest," The group had found a pew to occupy and Lilly slid in next to Arabella, Lord Grimshaw taking the seat next to her. "Though I must thank you for the book, so far I am thoroughly enjoying it."