Blind Date Fail

"Did you want to go out some time, like on a date?" Emily was a cute girl, but I wasn't interested like that. I smiled and shook my head apologetically.

"I'm sorry Em, I like you but not like that. You aren't my type." I watched her frown and scuff her foot a bit.

"Well, what is your type? I mean, I thought we got along great?" She asked politely. I licked my lips, then figured what the hell. I grabbed her hand and pulled her to the door of the breakroom. Then I pointed out the door very secret-agent-man-like at the buff figure of our co-worker Matthew. She gasped and dragged me back inside. "OH!"

"Yeah, sorry. It's not something I exactly advertise but there it is. Shame he's happily married with kids." I grinned at her shit-eating grin and tried not to fall over as she bounced against me.

"OMG. That means you have to be my GBF. I mean, I kinda wondered there for a while but I was really hoping that wasn't the case since you are awe-some." I just kept my smile up as she kept ranting about how much she loves the LGBT community and that me being gay was the next best thing to dating her.

"Ok, well I should get back to work now, my break is over." I sighed as I looked at the clock.

"Listen, I have this amazing friend that I know through my gym classes and I just have to hook you two up. Pretty please will you consider going on a date with him instead?" She gave me puppy dog eyes and clutched with an incredibly tight grip so I couldn't get away.

"Fine, I will consider it." I finally said, more out of sympathy for my shirt than any desire to be 'hooked-up'. She half screeched and went tearing out of the room, to my utter relief. I sighed a little heavier when I got back to my desk. Why people constantly saw the need to pair me up or send me on blind dates was beyond me.

I spent most of my life looking rather plain and being overlooked. Then puberty hit and I apparently hit the jackpot. All my features naturally filled in, my body filled out, and because I had already developed a rather laid back and modest attitude I was admired for being a nice guy too. So many girls commented that they expected me to be stuck up since I was so gorgeous.

I didn't really see it. I wasn't really desperate to find 'the one'. I just wanted to get up, go to work, hang out with friends and live comfortably. Time after time I was set up with people who wanted immediate sex, had a complex about my beauty, or type cast me and treated me like crap before we even got to know one another.

I wouldn't have even agreed to Emily's suggestion if I didn't already know that she was stubborn, meant well, and would end up being a good friend no matter what happed. I needed a friend at work, especially on break times to remind me to take the time to get up and stretch.

Close to the end of the day I got a text from Em. I shook my head at all the emojis she used. Apparently I had a date. I grimaced at the location. It was a gay bar downtown that I had managed to avoid until now. The one closer to the suburbs attracted less of the 'hit-it and quit-it' crowd and was my preferred place to meet.

I shrugged internally and prepared myself mentally for the ordeal ahead. I ate a healthy dinner, showered and changed into something nice. By nice, I mean not like my work clothes. A pair of black skinnies that made my ass look heavenly, a black button down shirt with a subtle silver pin-stripe, a pair of black runners and an artfully done bedhead hairdo.

I stuffed my wallet in my pocket, grabbed my keys and cellphone, then headed to my blind date. As I figured, I had to park up the street. The bouncer was just checking ids for underage kids trying to slip in at this time of night. He gave me a grin and a once-over though. I smiled shyly back before heading inside.