Chapter 3

The next day I ride back into town to look through all the little shops and see if I can run into Kian and his friends again. When I do I stand awkwardly and wait to think of how to approach them. Emilee notices me first before Eli and Daniel.

"Hey! What's up? You on your way to Kian's?" She asks

"Uhm, I wasn't what's going on at Kian's?"

"He is having a kickback at his place in about an hour. He was supposed to text you last night about it."

"Oh, we never had the chance to exchange numbers so we didn't talk. I just kinda hoped I would run into one of you again." I scratch the back of my head and smile.

"Well good thing you did." She laughs and looks to the guys. "Come on."

The walk to Kian's house is silent. The only ones who really do any talking are Emilee and Daniel and it's mostly to each other. I look at my phone the majority of the time just looking up to see if we are turning or stopping or something. When we do turn into Kian's neighborhood it's just like the one our house is in. All of the homes are different and scattered and they look like they were made for royalty.

When we get to Kian's house it looks like something from a movie. Almost entirely made of glass. I look up to the second story to see Kian standing in what I'm guessing is his bedroom. He is looking down at his phone laughing and he tosses it down in exchange for a t-shirt. He looks up when Emilee yells at him from the driveway and when he sees me he puts it down and walks to the window. He motions for me to come up so I follow behind Daniel as he walk in. He points me to the stairs and then disappears around a corner toward some low music. The walls inside the house are all white with a few pictures here and there, but none of a family. There are mainly school pictures of Kian from when he was young to his high school graduation pictures. His hair was shorter then, but he still looks the same. On a small shelf next to the bathroom door there are pictures of him with Emilee and Daniel as children and then a few from a couple years after and Eli and Josh are added. It makes me a little uncomfortable seeing pictures of them as children together. Not because of anything wrong, but just because it makes me feel out of place; like I'm invading their circle.

"Kai? Is that you?" I hear Kian's voice come from a door that's mostly closed and follow it. Behind it he is pulling the shirt over his head.

"You don't have to put your shirt on for me." I laugh.

"Hey." He smiles.

"Hey. Thanks for the invite."

"Well if you had texted me I would have invited you."

"I told you I didn't have your number."

"Let me see your phone."

I pull it out of my pocket and toss it to him.

"1973."

"okay, let me see here."

"This is nice. I like it." I smile and look around his room.

"Thanks. Decor by me."

I laugh considering how bare his room actually is. A bed. A dresser. A few pictures. A surf here and there.

"Ah. See. Sterling comma Kian."

"To be completely honest. I didn't bother to look. Anyway how did you get into my phone and put your number in it?"

"I watched you open it up yesterday." He smiles and tosses it back to me and I almost don't catch it.

"Smart ass."