I had to admit that I wasn’t so sure of what to wear to a high school party like this one. I even contemplated on calling Jace to find out, but my embarrassment and shame got to the best of me and I decided against it. In the end, after nearly an hour of staring at my wardrobe, I stuck with a pair of my regular denim jeans and a loose sweater that kept sliding off my shoulder. I was originally going to wear my hair up in a loose bun, but the second Julianne saw me, she yanked that hair tie out, leaving my hair in a mass of loose waves. “We’re going to a party, can’t you at least pretend to look like you care?” Julianne scolded when she saw my attire.

                “What’s Miss Suicidal doing here?” a drunken girl whispered the second we walked through the doors to Ryan’s house.

                I shot her a glare, pushing past her shoulder as she stumbled on her own feet. Julianne’s learned to ignore the harsh names people call her over the years, but I still found myself wanting to protect her.

                “Do you want to dance?” a grimy male, who looked too old to be attending a high school party stood in front of Julianne’s way. I watched her eyes widen with fear as his hands snaked around her waist, pulling her in close. “You look mighty fine tonight.”

                Just as I was about to step in and tell the guy to piss the fuck off, Ryan came to the rescue and pushed the man off of Julianne. Ryan held Julianne protectively as the drunken man fell to the floor on his own command, his cup of beer spilling over his crotch in the process.

                “I’m sorry about him, are you guys okay?” Ryan asked, separating Julianne and I from the crowd. “I didn’t expect this many people to come, especially people I don’t know.”

                I caught Julianne holding back a smile as she nodded. “We’re fine.”

                “Well I’m really glad you guys made it tonight.” Ryan grinned, turning his head toward me. “Jace was looking for you just about half an hour ago. I’m not sure where he is now, but I saw him in the kitchen five minutes ago.”

                I nodded, giving Ryan a smile. “Thanks, I’ll go find him.” I turned back, but not before I got to sneak Julianne a wink, indicating that I was leaving on purpose to give her and Ryan some time alone. Her cheeks immediately turned red as I turned away chuckling.

                Ryan should’ve been more specific as to where his kitchen was because his house was big. It didn’t help that most of the lights were turned off and people who pushing and shoving. I finally found the kitchen a few minutes later, but not before being nearly trampled by sweaty dancers.           

                I found Jace leaning over the counter of the sink, staring out at the window with a red cup in his hands. “Why so lonely?” I interrupted his deep thought, causing him to jump from surprise when he saw me.

                Jace smirked. “So the princess decided to show up after all, huh?”

                “I only came to keep an eye on Julianne.” I lied. It was partially the truth- but I left out the part where I also came because I wanted to see Jace.

                “I call bullshit on that.” Jace said calmly after a moment of silence between us. Before I got to argue back with him, he passed me a cup. I eyed it suspiciously, raising an eyebrow at him. He must’ve read my mind because next thing he said, “It’s not alcohol, relax. It’s just apple juice.”