Dun Dun Duuuuuuuunnnnnnn

Start from the beginning

“Mr. Tazuna.” Kakashi turns to the old man. “Before we reach the pier, I need to know why those men were after you. If you don’t tell us, I’m afraid I’ll have to end this mission when we drop you ashore.”

Tazuna sighs softly, eyes downcast. “I have no choice but to tell you.” He grumbles.

Sakura blinks awake but still leans on me, watching carefully as we all shift closer to hear his story. Kakashi looks to me momentarily, gaze flickering to Sakura before moving to me. I look to Tazuna.

“Like you said, this is beyond the scope of the original mission. The one who seeks my life is a very short man, who casts a very long and deadly shadow.”

“A deadly shadow?” Kakashi quirks a brow, “Who is it?”

“You know him.” Tazuna sighs.

“Who? Who? Who?” Naruto presses, leaning forward anxiously. I tap his knee to gain his attention and press my index finger to my lips, reminding him to be quiet. He nods.

“He’s one of the wealthiest men in the world. The shipping magnate Gato.”  

“Gato?” Kakashi’s eye widens. “Of Gato Transport? He’s a business leader, everyone knows him.”

“Gato is a very powerful tycoon from a famous company, that’s true.” Tazuna explains darkly. “But below the surface, with the same ruthless methods he uses to take over businesses and nations, he sells drugs and contraband using gangs and ninja. It was one year ago, when Gato first set his sights on the Land of Waves. He used his power and vast wealth to take total control of our transport and shipping. Anyone who tried to stand in his way simply…disappeared.”

The kids’ eyes widen.

I nod. “In an island nation, the one who controls the waves controls everything.”

“That’s right.” Tazuna nods towards me. “Finance, government, our very lives. But there is one thing he fears-the completion of this bridge. When it is complete it will join us to the land and break his control. I am the bridge builder.”

“So that’s it.” Sakura taps her chin. “Because you’re the one in charge of the bridge, you’re standing in this gangsters way.”

“That means those guys we fought in the forest were working for Gato.” Sasuke frowns slightly, staring down at the bottom of the boat.

“I don’t understand.” Kakashi comments. “If you knew he was dangerous, knew he’d send ninja to eliminate you, then why did you hide that from us?”

I shake my head and sigh softly. “Because he doesn’t have enough money to pay for it, Kakashi. The Land of Waves is poor, thanks to Gato.”

“Even our nobles have little money.” Tazuna nods slightly.

“You knew about this?” Kakashi’s eye narrows. I match his gaze evenly.

“Of course I knew about this. I know everything.”

Kakashi glares at me, fingers curling into tight fists. I shake my head slightly and hug my backpack to my chest as the kids move away from me, betrayal cold in their eyes. “You guys won’t understand until we get back home. You need to go on this mission.”

“You could’ve at least told me.” Kakashi growls.

I stand. “I had my reasons.”

“Oh and what were they?” Naruto stands, trying not to shout.

“You won’t believe me.” I whisper, avoiding their gazes. Not even the Hokage would believe me if I told them that Orochimaru was going to attack Konoha.

Everyone falls silent, watching me carefully. I move to the end of the boat, as far away from them as I can get, and sit down, looking directly into the water. I reach out and let my nail scrape the surface of the water, creating a small ripple in the glassy liquid. For some odd reason, I think of Sarah, who loves water, and my mother.

In the mirror-like water, I see my father slumping to the ground in a bloody mess. I see my mother turn, a large bloody butcher knife in her hands, and start towards me.

“Thank you.”

I snap out of my memory, my body stiffening.

“For not telling them.” Tazuna continues, even though I don’t turn my head to look at him. “They would’ve stopped at the very beginning, wouldn’t they have?”

I look down.

“I understand now.” He says, nodding slightly. “Without me, the bridge would never be completed and my men only had enough money for a C-ranked mission.” Tazuna looks to Kakashi. “If you end the mission when you drop me ashore, there will be no bridge. I’ll be assassinated before I take two steps into the country.”

I lean against the post and continue to play with the water, despite my lack of liking the wet substance. I’d pull out my sketchbook if I could, but I know we’ll be seeing Cow boy soon so I don’t feel there is really any point.

“But don’t worry about that.” Tazuna brightens up almost instantly. I smirk and turn to look at him over my shoulder. “Of course my sweet little grandson will be upset. He’ll cry “Granddad! I want my granddad!” Oh and my daughter will condemn the ninja of the Hidden Leaves, denouncing and blaming you for abandoning her father while living out the remainder of her life in sorrow.”  

The kids grimace and Kakashi looks to me. “I guess we can’t have that now can we?” He says, giving me a hard look. I don’t doubt that whatever injury someone acquires through the duration of this trip he’ll blame on me.

“Oh, we’re very grateful.” Tazuna sends me a triumphant look.

Looking away, I slump forward and sigh.

Someone taps my shoulder. I look up.

“It’s okay, Alex-Sensei! I forgive you.” Naruto throws his arms around my neck. “Now we can really have that exciting mission!”  

The boat bumps the wooden pier slightly, causing everyone to stumble as they stand. The kids go off first, then Kakashi. Once he is on the dock, the jonin turns to help me out of the boat.

“You too have some explaining to do.” He grumbles in my ear as I climb over the edge.

Tazuna waves to the boat rower, who turns on the engine and waves back as he speeds off towards the other end of the island. “Thank you for taking such a risk.”

“I guess we better get going then, if we’re going to make it in time for dinner.” The old man turns to us, smirking.

Nya! I hope this is good. >.< never try to sync twenty episodes of Naruto to your ipod at one time-it really slows down your computer!!! Well mine at least >.> So yeah, tell me what you think and what kind of improvements I should make! And hehehe I get a lot of my pictures from zerochan!! I love that website >:3

----Cloud<3