The Capital Buliding

Arabella opened the door, standing on her front porch was a tall, bulky bald policeman. 

"Hello! Are you Miss Arabella Ozinski?" He said very cheerfully.

"Yes sir," Arabella's stomach was churning.

The policeman's enthusiasm made Arabella feel uneasy and a little bit angry. 

"Why would someone be so happy when this is a very serious topic and situation!"

Her thoughts were interrupted by another unwanted ray of sunshine in his speech,"You don't have to say sir and use manner! Talk to me like you would to anyone!" He was laughing.

Arabella feeling a little embarrassed just said," Oh, okay,".

"My name is Evan Marks, you can call me Evan or Marks," he said sticking his hand out for me to shake,"I don't really mind what you call me!".

He looked past me as I shook his hand, for a second I saw sadness and guilt in his eyes but it was gone before I could figure out why it was there or if it was there at all. 

"Hey, don't worry about your sister.  I'll take good care of her and she will get home safely, trust me," he said looking straight into Leo's eyes which were dark and unreadable to Arabella but it seemed the policeman could read him. 

"Let's get going then!"

He opened the passenger seat door of his police car for Arabella and they hopped in.   It was awkwardly silent in the car for a while as they drove on the road to the capital building in Harrisburg. 

Arabella thought of what it was like back in the early 2000s where this new law was not in action or even thought of.  Arabella often thought of the early 2000s before everything started to go wrong and the new generations had to pick up the pieces and put it all back together.

Not much really did change from in the early 2000s, after 2020 all major companies had a major technical problem.  They were pushing the limits of what they could do with technology without the right amount of research, all they cared was who got the most high tech phones and gear out.  The air became polluted badly and they pushed the limits and had a huge setback everywhere.  Now everything seems much better.  All companies are taking it slow and trying to make a better Earth now that the pollution had been brought down and it was a very happy place (even though it takes two or three years for a new iPhone to come out but technology hasn't improved that much other than fixing bugs and new display changes.).

"So umm... When we get to the courthouse there is going to be a lot of people outside of the doors so stick to me and don't lose sight of me.  Don't try and run because then I will have to force you to go up the steps and into the rooms and I really don't want to do that.  Do not talk to the people outside and try not to make eye contact with the people.  Please do not make this more difficult than it has to be," Evan said with a long face. 

"Do you agree with this new law?" Arabella hope she didn't go too far asking him this.

"Between you and me, it's torture.  My son was also chosen.  I drove him this morning a little bit earlier,".

Evan seemed like a different person than when Arabella met him.  Now she understood why he was being so happy.  So then she wouldn't be so sad or so he could cover up his emotions.

"I'm sorry," Arabella said.

"It's not your fault,".

They sat in silence for the rest of the way.  Arabella felt sleepy with the movement of the car rocking her back and forth and the steady hum of the engine put her to sleep.

***

"Miss Arabella, we are here,".

Arabella felt a someone lightly tapping her.  Her eyes flew open and she sat up.

"Wait, when I fell asleep I was sitting up!"

"I hope you don't mind that I reclined your seat so you could sleep better,".

"Oh, thank you. That was very kind of you I don't mind at all,".

Arabella was still in the car but the scenery outside had changed.  They were parked in front of the building, the sun was shining very brightly and cars moved quickly on the street to her right.  There was something different than what she thought.  Something caught her eye father ahead.  A huge group of people were crowded onto the steps with signs, they were shouting.  Only when she looked at them she could hear their shouts.

"Love is unconditional not put together in pairs!"

"Love is art, you can't rush it!"

"Taking away our love is taking away our free will!"

There were signs, tee shirts, banners, everything.  Arabella was surprised.  Even more people flocked onto the side walks. 

"Lets go, remember what I told you,".

Evan looked very serious now. They both got out of the car and side by side walked to the base of the steps.  All heads turned toward Arabella and Mr. Evans.  Everything went silent and it made Arabella shake.  She felt a strong hand on her shoulder and she looked back. Mr Evans had his hand on her to lead her forward.  She started walking toward the huge crowd on the steps, still nobody moved.  Al you could hear were the sounds of her dress shoes hitting the pavement in a steady rythem. 

"Let this young lady go!  She don't need no husband!" an old man shouted with really bad speech. 

Evan said nothing so she didn't either.  Arabella just stared forward, tears threading to burst from her eyes as she kept getting closer and closer to the crowd.  She was steps away and the crowd began to move and scream again.  Screaming in her ears and reaching out to her.  Arabella was a foot away from the starry if the huge crowd, still nobody parted but she trusted Evan so she took one more step and they started making a way for Arabella to walk through.  Their eyes looked strong and brave but Arabella could sense the fear and tension in their minds.  She looked back at Evan and realized why they parted.  Evan had his hand on his taser ready for action but soon as he noticed she saw he took his hand down.  The people still parted, they were halfway through and the crowd closed in behind and in front of Arabella and Evan.  It happened so quickly Arabella didn't know what to do.

Arms grabbed out to Arabella so she screamed.  What else was she supposed to do!  Evan put his hand on his taser and picked it up this time and behind her pushed her up the steps running.  Evan pushed the people down and brushed past people making sure no one would harm Arabella and no one did.  They had reached the top, no one dared to follow only police and government people knew the secret passcode to the doors and the protesters new that trying to get in would lead them to jail or worse. 

Evan put the password in and ran her inside.  As soon as the doors closed Arabella turned around shaking and looked at Evan.  He pulled her in for a hug and patted her back, like a father would do. Except Arabella's father never in fact did that and never would. 

"I'm sorry I didn't think it would get worse than it was before.  They were a lot calmer this morning,".

Arabella said nothing as she let go of him and he reached for his walkie talkie.

"We need some people out in front of the capital building ASAP. They are getting bloodthirsty out their and tried to hurt and take me down and take the young lady I am transporting, Marks out". 

"Sorry I made you wait, now I'm going to take you to the room where you will wait until you are called.  There should be two other girls in there other than you for now so try and socialize to get your mind off of things,".

They walked down a very long hall with high ceilings and glass chandeliers and up an elevator and then into a less intimidating hallway than the one down stairs.  They walked down the stone floor to a door made out of wood with a window in the middle but the draped were down so Arabella could not see inside the room. 

"Don't worry about a thing, but this is where I will be leaving you so good luck,".

Evan opened the door and gave her a small hug and pushed Arabella in.