I quickly placed Freddy down on the floor, my eyes scanning the coffee shop for Adora. I narrowed my eyes as soon as she caught my eye, and noticed a guy beside her.

The boys ran up to her and she turned around, yelping when Josiah hugged her from the back. "Mi amor!"

He was showering her with kisses, and I just chuckled as I neared them.

"Ah, mi amor!" She giggled and picked him up, hugging Freddy to her leg.

"Hi," she greeted, clearing her throat as she shot me a warm smile.

I clenched my jaw, smiling the smallest smile possible.

"Is this your boyfriend, niñera?" Freddy teased, making the familiar looking guy's eyebrows furrow down at him.

"No, Freddy, I'm Addy's boyfriend!" Josiah pouted, making Adora giggle and press a kiss to his cheek.

"I'm Landon," he greeted, "we've met before."

"I knew I've seen you around."

Adora's eyes were piercing into my own, her tongue gliding across her top teeth. It was taking all I had to not kiss her, it was taking all I had to not touch her how I wanted.

"No, amor, he's not my boyfriend. He's my best friend," Adora said, smiling as Josiah pressed a kiss to her cheek.

"Niñera, come to the zoo with us!" Freddy exclaimed, making my eyebrows furrow together.

"No, boys, she has a life outside of you two-"

"No," she said, "no, that's okay, I'll take the boys if you want me to."

"No!" The boys exclaimed, "no, let's all go!"

Adora just shot me a smile. "That sounds wonderful."

I pursed my lips together, nodding. "It sure does."

~*~

Adora

The zoo had completely worn everyone out.

We were all sitting on a bench in front of the gorilla exhibit, and the boys were eating popcorn.

They'd taken to Landon so well. He kept them occupied and happy, and even bought them popcorn. He insisted on it, and wouldn't budge until Santiago stopped arguing with him.

"Hasn't it been such a good day?" I asked, smiling over at the boys.

They nodded and shot me smiles, making me giggle. Santiago's eyebrows were in a natural furrow, his bulky arms folded over his chest.

"You look happy," I sarcastically remarked, making him cock an eyebrow up at me.

"Mm hmm," he mumbled, nodding, "you know, you don't have to try so hard."

I furrowed my brows together at his statement. "What do you mean?"

"You don't have to try so hard to be a part in their lives. You don't have to try so hard to be their mom. They have a fully capable one."

My eyes went round and I looked over at him, my blood boiling. "Well, frankly, their actual mom isn't around. So I kinda have no choice."

"That's a lie," he deadpanned, making me cock an eyebrow up at him.

"How's that a lie?"

"You chose to apply for the position. You chose to work for us."

"But I didn't choose to be their mother, I chose to be their babysitter."

"Did you really expect anything less than being their mother? You know Alessandra is always somewhere, she always has been."

"Actually, if you're asking for a real answer, I did expect a little bit less than being their mother. Apparently, I'm their father, too."

He narrowed his eyes at me. "I wouldn't boast if I were you."

"It's nothing to boast about!" I yelled, "you want to talk about boasting, let's talk about Mr. King himself! Boasting about his own business, boasting about his house, boasting about his stunner of a wife who feels a little bit less for him than he does for her. God works in mysterious ways, Mr. King, so I wouldn't boast too much."

He chuckled and threw his head back. "You know nothing of me."

"I know just enough, I promise." I stood up and the boys stood up to follow me, and Santiago bolted up.

"You took things too far, Adora."

"No," I said, "no, I didn't. If you can't appreciate what someone does for you, don't ask them to wait on you hand and foot."

"I don't ask you to wait on me hand and foot! You do that yourself," he said, folding his arms over his chest, "I'm a full grown man, and I'd be more than happy to make you fully aware of it."

Landon's jaw dropped and I just bit down on my bottom lip, shaking my head. "I hope to God your boys don't become you."

"Me too," he mumbled, picking them up, "it's been a great day, but I think it's time we end it."

"I couldn't agree more," I said, folding my arms over my chest as his eyes bored into my own.

"Say adios to niñera," Santiago said, "she's going home."

"Adios, mi amor!" Josiah yelled, wrapping his arms around my legs, "I'll see you soon."

"Of course." Freddy ran up to me and wrapped his arms around my other side, making me giggle.

They both ran up to Landon and wrapped their arms around him, making me smile a fake smile. I couldn't help the anger rushing over me.

Why was Santiago King so hard to work with, and when would I figure out how to work with him?