Chapter Nine

I've kissed boys before. Quite a few actually. But after I kissed Dorian I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned and paced my bedroom until early the next morning. I don't remember dozing off out of pure exhaustion, but Philippa didn't ask when she found me asleep on the floor in the morning.

I feel like death. Even coffee couldn't bestow energy into me as I trudge into school. I try to look awake, or at least alive, in case I see Dorian, but then I realize what I am doing and pretend not to care how I look. 

"Hey, there." 

My heart practically jumps out of my chest as I turn with excitement, expecting to see Dorian. 

"Wow, try to look a little less disappointed," my face must have fallen when I realized it was Chaol who had spoken. 

"Sorry," I mumble, "what's up?" 

"Nothing, I just thought I'd come see if you felt as horrible as you look right now," he says doing a terrible job as hiding his smirk. 

"Very cute, was that revenge for me not being excited to see you?" I ask. 

"Well, yes. But you really do look a bit worse than usual." 

"Are you saying I look even worse than the horrible that I usually look, or that I still look good, just slightly less amazing than I usually do?" 

Chaol strokes his chin, "Probably somewhere in the middle." 

I shrug, "I'll take it. Have you seen Dorian?" 

"I haven't, and he didn't text me back last night either." 

I chew on my cheek. If Dorian didn't text him last night, then Chaol probably doesn't know that we kissed. Would he even care? 

"I'm gonna go to class, you coming with?" he asks. 

"I guess. Have you seen Kaltain?" I ask with attempted nonchalance. 

Chaol crinkles his brows, "Kaltain? I'm not sure, I haven't been looking for her. Why do you care where Kaltain is?" 

"I don't, I just thought maybe you might..." I trail off. 

He looks flabbergasted, "Why on earth would I care what Kaltain is up to?" 

"Have you ever thought about, you know, pursuing Kaltain?" 

"As in romantically?" 

"Yes."

"I can honestly say I have never once thought it." 

"Why? Kaltain is pretty." 

Chaol laughs, "Yes, Kaltain is pretty, and she is very aware of that fact." He sighs, "Let's just say Kaltain is not my type." 

"Oh yeah? And what exactly is your type?" I ask, my interest peaked. 

Chaol looks at me, "Very different from Kaltain." 

"Ugh," I roll my eyes, "Do you know anyone whose type is Kaltain?" 

He cocks an eyebrow, "Why the sudden interest in playing her matchmaker?" 

"Don't you think it's a little sad how she fawns over Dorian?" 

"Lots of girls fawn over Dorian." 

"Okay, but Kaltain takes it a little too far," I say as we reach our class, "I'm not entirely convinced that she wouldn't kill any girlfriend Dorian gets so long as it isn't her." 

"You have to admire her persistence." 

"Sure, if that's the word you want to use to describe it."