Chapter Four

Dorian, Chaol, and I walked side-by-side through the gardens, with me somehow having wound up in the middle. The tour had begun with Dorian, being the natural-born tour guide he is, actually lecturing over the history of the gardens, how far it extends(far, far too many miles for a garden, in my opinion), the vast variety of plants found in the gardens, etc, etc.

However, less than ten minutes of that had Chaol and I practically sleep walking, thankfully he spoke up. "Uh, Dorian?"

"I find this particular flower to be far more fascina- yes, Chaol?" Dorian replied, breaking off mid-sentence.

"Not that this isn't enthralling, but I don't think Lillian finds any of this information 'fascinating.'" I elbow him in the ribs for turning it around on me.

"Well, what would Lillian rather talk about?" Dorian asks, smirking at me.

I laugh, "Lillian is indifferent to the topic of conversation, as long as it's not anything else about plants."

Chaol chuckles and Dorian sticks his tongue out at both of us, "Then how about we talk about you?" Uh oh. "I already know everything about Chaol, and he's really not that intriguing."

I laugh, going over all Lillian Gordaina's details in my head, "What would you like to know?"

He and Chaol exchange and look and simultaneously begin to make thinking faces, stroking their chins and everything. "How about, what's your middle name?" Dorian asks, and Chaol nods in approval.

I take a fraction of a second to think- a middle name, somehow, not having been something Arobynn thought to include in the extremely extensive note packet I was forced to read on my alias- and respond, "Samantha."

"Lillian Samantha Gordaina," Dorian says, as if to test it out.

"I honestly didn't even know your last name," Chaol says, shrugging, "but I did only meet you about two hours ago."

"I won't take it too personally, considering I don't know your last name either..." I drift off suggestively implying he provide it.

"Westfall."

"Chaol Westfall," I croon, "it almost rhymes." He flashes me a wry smile, and I beam in reply.

"So next question, Chaol, would you like to do the honors?" Dorian asks.

Chaol grins mischievously, pretending to think, "Have any love interests in your life right now, Lillian?" He asks, flashing a glance at Dorian. If he understands what angle Chaol is playing at, he doesn't show it.

Dorian only raises his eyebrows, "I was thinking something along the lines of, 'where are you from,' but that works too, I suppose."

Because I actually know where Lillian Gordaina is from, I decide to answer them both, "I'm from a town in northern Canada called Terrasen. And no, at the moment, I do not have any love interests." I swallow the lump in my throat and push all my thoughts to the back of my mind.

I can tell Chaol had wanted me to say I was already committed, in hopes that Dorian would lose interest. But my answer seems to have infinitesimally perked up Dorian. "What about you guys," I say, "love interests, either of you?"

Dorian starts shaking his head, but Chaol seems to have sparked an idea, "Dorian, what about Kaltain?"

Dorian looks bewildered, "What about Kaltain?"

"You two still a thing?" Chaol asks, nudging Dorian.

"I would hardly consider that to have been a thing."