Fondness

He felt like he was going to burst.

His cheeks were on fire and his heart was beating so fast that he could've sworn the entire apartment complex could hear it.

What was that just a few moments ago?!

Valt ran his fingers threw his bangs and looked in the direction of Shu's bedside table.

As the latter had said, his headband was on the table.

Normally the bluenette would grab the headband and secure it into its normal position in his hair, but this time he didn't reach for it.

His hands shook as he removed it from his hair. The insides of his palms were sweating and somehow he found himself reaching out for a pillow on Shu's bed.

When a pillow was in his grasp, Valt slammed his head into it.

He yelled into the pillow, voice muffling as he did so, before he repeatedly whacked himself with it.

The process of yelling into the pillow and hitting himself with it continued in a vicious cycle for several minutes.

When his arms began to tire, Valt stopped.

Dropping the pillow onto the air mattress, Valt groaned.

He didn't feel like he was going to burst anymore, but his cheeks were still burning.

Why can't I calm down? This shouldn't be happening. He was just half asleep and didn't know what he was really looking at or doing... Right?

Valt felt a small pang in his chest at that last thought.

Although he really wanted the moment to have lasted longer he knew it couldn't. After all it was just a simple accident.

There was no way that Shu Kurenai, his best friend, would willingly look at him with loving eyes after waking up. Nor would Shu willingly stroke his hand so lightly that it would send him stuttering a good morning.

Actually, how did our hands end up like that? Maybe I really did reach out for him in my sleep?

Everything that had happened moments ago was driving Valt crazy. He knew Shu was just half asleep throughout everything...

But why would he look at me that way even if he was still half asleep?

When Shu had looked at Valt it wasn't the average way a half asleep person would look at someone. It was much more than just sleepyness.

Those scarlet eyes had stared at Valt with such fondness that they almost looked loving. They had sparkled when they met chocolate eyes and grew brighter when they they had locked onto Valt...

"Argh! Enough of this! I just need to forget about this and move on. Maybe if I do that and act natural then these thoughts and feelings will go away."

Without giving a second thought to the early morning events, Valt stood up from the air mattress. He exited the room, not giving a glance to his headband on the way out.

The smell of french toast and beacon filled his nose as he left the bedroom. It was an alluring scent that made his body move on instinct.

As Valt made his way into the kitchen his stomach growled.

Shu, who was busy setting the food on the table, smiled to Valt. He was already dressed in his usual attire as well, as looked over Valt.

There it was again, the warm smile and soft eyes that made Valt's heart skip a beat.

"I take it you left your hair the same way as I left you a few minutes ago." Shu chuckled to himself.

The bluenette smiled back to the Spryzen blader as he scratched the back of his head.