Chapter Twenty-Five: Death is not an End

Everyone stood or sat in silence. Thoros stood before the fire. "Lord, cast your light upon us," he said softly.

"Lord of Light defend us," the rest of the men stated, all in synchrony.

Anguy cut the ropes that bound Sandor, stepping back. Thoros stared into the fire. "Show us the truth," he said. "Strike this man down if he is guilty. Give strength to his sword if he is true. A follower of yours is with him, do not allow her to sway you. Lord of Light, give us wisdom. For the night is dark and full of terrors."

"For the night is dark and full of terrors," the men echoed, and even Emmelyne whispered it to herself.

Thoros stepped back. Sandor was handed a sword, and he tested it weight in his hands. Thoros was silent as he held a sword out, slicing Beric's palm open. Blood ran down his skin. He took the sword in his unharmed hand. And suddenly there was a brilliant burst of fire as he let his blood touch the steel. The sword was on fire. Emmelyne's eyes went wide, and so did Sandor's. He took a few steps back, hesitating as he took a shield from someone's outstretched hand. Beric stood, pointing his sword, waiting for an attack. Sandor shouted loudly, charging. Their swords clashed together. Once. Twice. A third time. Beric pressed his sword to Sandor's, the flame inches away from Sandor's face. He reacted quickly, forcing Beric to the side. They both backed away, staring at each other. Arya stood from her seat. Beric swung. Steel rang against steel. Sandor raised his shield, trying to keep away from the fire as Beric twirled his sword dangerously in one hand. Beric swung down, but Sandor narrowly avoided the blade as it crashed against a rock. He swung madly, trying to hit Sandor even once. Despite his size, Sandor was quite fast. Beric spun around, knocking one his own men over with his shield as he raced toward Sandor. Their swords crashed together once more. But this time, Sandor got the upper hand. He landed a kick squarely to Beric's chest, sending him stumbling back. While Beric regained his bearings, Sandor stepped up to him, swinging. Beric jerked his sword up, hitting Sandor's midair, stopping it as he walked forward. They both swung madly at each other. Sandor was getting angrier by the minute. He lunged forward, swinging his blade in a wide arc. Beric lowered, the blade narrowly missing his head. Sandor's sword came around, crashing into a weapons rack. He swung down hard on Beric's shield, roaring with rage. When that didn't work, he tried a different tactic, trying to knock Beric down with his shield. Beric managed a hit to Sandor's leg, sending him stumbling into a fire. Sandor screamed, kicking a barrel aside as he hurried out of the flame. Beric came toward him, and it seemed as if he was going to win. He swung. Sandor caught the blade between his own sword and Beric's shield. Beric's eyes widened as Sandor kicked him roughly in the chest, and he stumbled back once more. Beric managed a hard hit to Sandor's head. "Get back," Thoros instructed, pulling Arya away as Sandor tumbled to the ground.

Sandor managed to get to his feet. Beric dropped low, and Sandor's swing missed him. He slammed his shield against Sandor's head, but that didn't even seem to slow him down. The flaming sword hit Sandor's shield, and a brilliant flash of white light lit up the cave for a moment. Sandor had had enough. He swung, hitting Beric's shield, sending him to the ground, but only for a moment. The fight continued. It almost felt as if it would never end. Beric managed to get Sandor to the ground. He swung, hitting Sandor's shield, which ignited instantly. Sandor quickly got to his feet, trying to keep the shield away from him while also continuing the fight. A chant struck up among the Brother. "Guilty. Guilty. Guilty."

The flame finally reached Sandor, who began to shout, trying to put out the fire to the best of his ability. Thoros watched, a faint smile on his face. "No," Emmelyne whispered.

"Kill him!" Arya shrieked.

Beric stepped up to Sandor. Sandor went for a last resort, blocking with his shield, which still glowed bright with flame. Beric tried to charge him, but Sandor shoved him back with all of his strength, shouting. Beric charged, and Sandor did as well. "No, no," Emmelyne stated.

But then Sandor swung. His sword carved it's way through Beric's shoulder, into his chest. The cave was silent as a crypt. Sandor let go of the sword, and Beric fell to the ground, blood spurting, covering the dirt. Thoros was the first to react. He raced forward, dropping down next to Beric's body. "Lord, cast your light upon this man, your servant. Bring him back from death and darkness. His flame has been extinguished. Restore it. For the night is dark and full of terrors."

Sandor fell to the ground, shouting, trying to put out the fire on the burnt remains of his shield. "Lord, cast..." Thoros began.

"Arya, don't!" Gendry shouted.

Arya turned, grabbing a dagger from one of the men beside her. She started running toward Sandor, but so did Emmelyne. Emmelyne reached Sandor first, staring Arya down. "Don't," she stated.

Gendry rushed forward, picking Arya up and slinging her over his shoulder. "No! No! Let go of me! Let me go!" she shrieked.

Sandor looked at her. "Looks like your sister's god likes me more than your butcher's boy," he stated.

"Burn in hell!" Arya screamed, trying to free herself from Gendry's grip.

"He will," Beric's voice answered.

Everyone looked up. Beric stood, looking at Arya. "But not today," he said.

Emmelyne had heard of followers of R'hllor being able to bring people back from the dead, but she had never seen it happen. She looked at Thoros, who almost smiled at her.