Chapter Fifteen: Father

After Ser Barristan's dramatic exit, the calmness in the throne room restored. Everyone began whispering. A steward looked at Cersei, then began speaking. "If any man in this hall has other matters to set before His Grace, let him speak now, or go forth and hold his silence."

Sansa paused. "Your Grace," she said.

"Sansa," Emmelyne hissed.

Joffrey smiled. "Come forward, my lady," he said.

Sansa stepped forward, Emmelyne watching her carefully. R'hllor stiffened, growling. The steward spoke again. "The Lady Sansa of House Stark," he introduced.

Once Sansa reached the front of the room, Cersei looked at her. "Do you have some business for the king and the council, Sansa?" she asked.

"I do," Sansa answered.

She lowered to her knees. "As it please Your Grace, I ask mercy for my father, Lord Eddard Stark, who was Hand of the King."

Pycelle stiffened. "Treason is a noxious weed. It should be torn out root- -" he began.

"Let her speak. I want to hear what she says," Joffrey stated.

"Thank you, Your Grace," Sansa smiled.

"Do you deny your father's crime?" Lord Baelish questioned.

"No, my lords. I know that he must be punished. All I ask is mercy. I know my lord father must regret what he did. He was King Robert's friend and he loved him. You all know he loved him. He never wanted to be Hand until the king asked him. They must have lied to him- - Lord Renly or Lord Stannis, or somebody. They must have lied!" Sansa urged, her voice faltering, close to tears.

"He said I wasn't the king. Why did he say that?" Joffrey questioned.

"He was badly hurt. Maester Pycelle was giving him milk of the poppy. He wasn't himself. Otherwise, he never would have said it."

"A child's faith," said Varys. "Such sweet innocence. And yet they say wisdom oft comes from the mouths of babes."

"Treason is treason!" Pycelle cried.

Joffrey stared at Sansa. "Anything else?" he questioned.

She nodded slowly. "If you still have any affection in your heart for me, please do this for me, Your Grace."

Emmelyne slowly stepped forward. "May I come to my sister's aid?" she asked, not looking at Joffrey as she did so.

"Yes," he answered.

"The Lady Emmelyne of House Stark," the steward added.

She moved to Sansa's side, kneeling as well. "I beg of you, Your Grace, to grant my father mercy, as well. Send him back to Winterfell if you must. Let him live, and let him return home. Perhaps if he is back with the rest of our family, he will not cause any problems," she offered.

Joffrey thought for a moment. "Your sweet words have moved me. But your father has to confess. He has to confess and say that I'm the king... or there'll be no mercy for him," Joffrey said, his voice stern and cold.

"He will," Sansa agreed.

Emmelyne looked up at Joffrey, managing a smile.

It was the day of Ned's trial. Bells rang loudly, calling everyone to the Sept of Baelor, to see what Joffrey decided to do with the traitor. Already the was a large crowd, muttering with anticipation. They had begun to grow restless, and the people who come early began a rousing shout. And then Ned was being dragged before the crowd. Now everyone was shouting. Arya was there, clinging to the statue of Baelor that stood before the Sept. She stared at Ned, confused. Emmelyne was stood between Sansa and Cersei, holding Sansa's hand as tightly as she could. Two men led Ned up the steps. "Treason!" a woman in the crowd roared.

Sansa was smiling. Lord Baelish stood to the side, a smirk on his face. The men let go of Ned, and they moved away from him. "I am Eddard Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Hand of the King," Ned was saying.

He looked at Sansa, who nodded, urging to him to keep speaking. "I come before you to confess my treason in the sight of gods and men. I betrayed the faith of my king and the trust of my friend Robert. I swore to protect and defend his children, but before his blood was cold I plotted to murder his son... and seize the throne for myself," he continued.

The crowd roared with anger. Someone threw a rock, hitting Eddard in the head. Sansa gasped, and Emmelyne flinched. Eddard hit the ground. The Hound took a step forward, helping Ned to his feet. "Let the High Septon and Baelor the Blessed bear witness to what I say: Joffrey Baratheon is the one true heir to the iron throne, by the grace of all the gods, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm," Eddard said.

Emmelyne was shaking slightly with anxiety. She noticed Joffrey send a smile to Cersei. "As we sin, so do we suffer. This man has confessed his crimes in sight of gods and men. The gods are just but beloved Baelor taught us they can also be merciful. What is to be done with this traitor, your grace?" Pycelle asked Joffrey.

The crowd began jeering loudly. Joffrey smiled, raising a hand to silence them. "My mother wishes me to let Lord Eddard Stark join the Night's Watch. Stripped of all titles and powers, he would serve the realm in permanent exile. My lady Sansa has begged mercy for Eddard. And the lady Emmelyne wishes for him to be sent back to Winterfell. But they have the soft hearts of women. So long as I am your king, treason shall never go unpunished. Ser Ilyn, bring me his head!" he commanded.

Emmelyne started screaming. She tried to run forward, but the Hound took her shoulders. Sansa was shouting, pleading. The Hound pulled Emmelyne against his chest, his grip tight. "No! Please!" Emmelyne cried.

The Hound turned her away from Ned, staring into her eyes. He didn't speak. Emmelyne collapsed against his chest, sobbing. She heard Sansa shouting. "Daddy! Someone please stop him!"

When Emmelyne looked at her, she saw that Sansa was being held back by a Kingsguard. "Joffrey, please! Please! You promised mercy!" Emmelyne cried, fighting against the Hound's grip.

Cersei took Joffrey's arm tightly. "My son, this is madness," she stated.

"Put him down!" Janos Slynt commanded.

Two Kingsguard stepped forward, forcing Eddard to his knees. Ned looked around. His frantic gaze reminded Emmelyne of an animal being sent to the slaughter; he knew something horrible was going to happen, but it was almost as if he wasn't sure what. Through her tears Emmelyne began whispering to herself. "R'hllor, I beg of you. Please cast a mercy on my father. I do not know how you will do it, but let him live," she pleaded.

"No God can save him now," the Hound told her stiffly.

Ilyn Payne pulled on his black executioner's hood. "Stop! Daddy!" Sansa screamed.

Ilyn was drawing a sword. Emmelyne looked at Joffrey, rage and anguish burning in her gray eyes. "Burn in hell! I pray that R'hllor grants you a slow and painful death!" she shouted.

"Stop! No! No!" Sansa cried.

"Traitor!" the crowd roared.

Cersei stood with her head bowed, her hands folded together. "Stop him, stop!" Sansa begged.

Emmelyne threw herself toward her father, but the Hound's grip was too tight. "Joffrey, stop!" she heard Sansa saying.

Sansa's cries seemed to fade away. Emmelyne tottered on her feet, her head fuzzy. She felt herself falling backward, almost as if she had fainted. But she still saw. The Hound straightened her slightly on her feet, but he allowed her to lean heavily against him.

Ilyn raised the sword. And then he brought it down. The only sound Emmelyne heard was the whoosh of air as the steel came crashing down, followed by the clanging of the sword on the rocks. A flock of birds who had perched themselves on the bell tower flew away, their wings rustling against the air. Blood coated Ilyn's blade. The crowd roared with joy as Ilyn lifted Eddard's head high, showing it for all the world to see. Two Kingsguard dragged Ned's body away. Emmelyne saw Sansa faint, and the man holding her let her hit the ground. The Hound turned Emmelyne toward him, a sad look in his eyes. Her tears were drained, and exhaustion overwhelmed her. "Father..." she breathed out.

She fell against his chest, and her vision went black.