Chapter 3

Bellamy was there, just as I'd expected. When I walked into the room, he was sitting in his desk chair, bent over with his head between his knees. I could hear his loud breathing. It looked like he was in the middle of a full-fledged panic attack.

"Calm down there Nerd-Boy," I laughed. I quickly scanned the area and saw an old takeout bag in the trashcan. Emptying the wrappers and napkins, I handed it to him. He instantly put it over his face and started breathing in deeply. After a few minutes, his hyperventilation stopped and he pulled the bag down.

"That smells disgusting." He tossed it into the trash. "Never inhale three day old french fry grease."

"I'll try to remember that," I laughed again. "So what's going on?"

He shook his head vehemently. "Not here," he whispered. He tilted his head to the corner where a security camera was installed. No wonder my father knew I'd snuck out of work early every day. "I'm about done here. I found the file I was looking for." He gave a half grin and held up a manila folder stuffed with papers. I didn't know if he meant to show it to me or make a show for the camera, so I just went along with it.

I quickly wrote the numbers 0407 on a paper on the desk. "Cool. What's it about anyway?"

He glanced at it quickly and by the gleam in his eye, I could tell he understood what I was trying to say. "It's Dr. Griffin's personal notes on the Major Depressive Episodes study we are currently conducting."

"That sounds thrilling. But not. I'm going to head home then." I handed the paper to him and made up an excuse for any potential watchers for why I wrote down numbers. "Here's my phone number if you get done early and want to do something."

"Thanks," he said uneasily, stuffing the paper into his shirt pocket.

I smiled and headed for the door, tucking my long bangs behind my ears. "See you later Nerd-Boy."

He gave me a halfhearted wave and I left. Not knowing what the heck I should do next, I left the hospital and went across the street to a small café. From the table near the front window, I could see the hospital entrance and waited for him to walk out. After nearly a half hour and two cups of coffee, I finally saw his disheveled form lumber out into the sunlight.

Hopping up from my chair quickly, I tossed a small tip on the table and followed him from a distance. He was on foot, walking toward the opposite side of town from where I lived. The Griffin house was in the wealthier subdivision, but he was headed toward the old factories. I stayed far enough away that he didn't see me, hoping that no one else would notice I was following him either. Finally, he stopped at an old warehouse across the street from the one I'd been arrested at a few weeks before. I hurried to catch up to him and ducked inside just as he was going into another unmarked door.

"Wait up!" I called breathlessly.

He jumped, startled by my sudden appearance and stood there with a stunned look on his face. Only one foot was inside the doorway. I could tell he was trying to decide if he should invite me to follow him or stand there and talk outside of his place.

"Did you bring the card?" He asked.

"Well that's a polite how're you doing."

"I'm sorry," he blushed. "Did you bring the card though?"

"Yep," I grinned, pushing past him into his apartment.

I'd expected to see a typical college aged bachelor pad, filled with dirty laundry and junk lying everywhere. Instead, I saw a one room loft that was neater than my house right after the maid left. A small kitchenette bordered one side with a closet next to it. There was a couch, a desk, a bed, and a dresser, but no other furniture. There was an obvious lack of anything electronic, other than his computer. No television, no game system, no sound system, nothing. His bed was neatly made and there were no dirty dishes on the counter. His clothes were neatly hung up on a metal bar over his dresser, arranged in a rainbow of coordinated colors.