Chapter 16

"Paano ko masusundan yung yapak ng idol ko, kung riot pa lang, natakot na ko?" I wailed over the phone.

I'm talking about Christiane Amanpour, the world famous reporter who inspired me to take up journalism. She was assigned to several war-torn countries, including Afghanistan, and has interviewed almost every single world leader.

"How can I pull off an Amanpour, Chriss--..."

"I mean, RJ." I corrected myself.

"You were gonna say Chrissy weren't you?"

"Yeah. I was." Busted.

"I really should call you more often," RJ mumbled. "Let me see," he continued talking, so swiftly that I could not think of a comeback for his last statement.

"It takes some getting used to. Take some baby steps, so to speak. The more experience you have, the more confident you will be to handle such dangerous assignments," RJ analyzed.

"And to think that this career is even more challenging for women... RJ, please tell me you believe in the equality of sexes." I waited for his response in a hopeful voice.

"Of course I do!" I could feel a tinge of hurt in his tone. "I wouldn't aspire to be a lawyer if I didn't believe that there should be justice for all. Justice is blind, as the saying goes."

"Point taken. Anu kaya, naging lalaki nalang ako? Things would be simpler."

"Surely, you don't mean that?" RJ said, a little panicky.

"No, I don't," I clarified with a giggle.

"Good," he whispered.

"Ano?" I asked.

"Wala," he asserted.

For a few seconds, I was lost in thought. Journalism has always been a risky profession. But as I have read from interviews of other reporters, the situation has gotten worse in the last few decades where sometimes journalists get assaulted, imprisoned, kidnapped, or even killed.

Ayoko pa naman mamatay na virgin. I'm still looking for someone to help me in that department. Hindi kaya ikaw na yon? I thought jokingly. I knew I was treading on extremely flirtatious ground.

"Shut up!" I half screamed to reprimand myself.

"I beg your pardon?!" RJ said in a baffled tone.

Oh my god. Did I say that out loud?

"Huh? Why?! What did I just say?" I demanded, feeling mortified and thinking of a million ways to die.

"You told me to shut up," RJ responded casually.

"What else?" I persisted.

"Just that."

"Please, what else did I say?" I practically begged.

"Just that," RJ maintained.

"Ah, wala. I was just having some morbid thoughts about being in a war zone. Wag mo na lang pansinin un sinabi ko," I said, still wanting to die on the spot. "Maybe it's time for me to sleep. It's been a distressing day, to say the least."

"But it's only quarter to 10! Let's talk some more," RJ urged.

"What else do you want to talk about?"

"The ASEAN summit is happening in two weeks. Are you going to cover it?"

"No one has told me anything. Why, are you going to?"

"Yeah. I'm sure you will, too. I mean, if they asked me, then they're going to send you there too. You're more senior than me."

"Grabe ka naman maka-senior!" I commented loudly.

"Sige na nga. Na-una ka sakin maging reporter ng one year. And you're a great one at that."

"Why, thank you, RJ! But even if they don't ask me to go, I'm thrilled for you.  It's a rightful feather in your cap." I commended him sincerely.  

"By the way, when can you go to the Bric-A-Brac again?"

"Why?"

"They're asking."

"Who?" I wanted to know.

"Umm... sila sila," RJ answered vaguely.

"Sinong sila, sila?"

"The guys. My friends. Mas masaya kasi pag marami tayo sa bar," he pointed out.

"Next week... when my friends come back from abroad. One is on a business trip in Europe and the other one is on honeymoon in Australia."

"Cool."

"Will you be playing?" I asked.

"I don't think so. But the night you came there, I wasn't expecting to play, so you never know," RJ added. I can imagine his dimpled smile even over the radio waves.

Suddenly, I yawned.

"Sleepy ka na?"

"Yes."

"Goodnight, then."

"Goodnight."

"Next week ha?" RJ reminded.

"Sure," I said, letting out another yawn.

~~~~~

I submitted four articles today! I was about to stand up to treat myself to my favorite cold coffee drink when Sir Andy called me to his room.

'Maine, after that riot a few days ago, I have some news to offset that."

"I'M GETTING ANOTHER SALARY RAISE! YAY!" I teased loudly with wide-eyed wonder and a silly little grin. I knew this was quite a stretch since I already got an adjustment a few months ago.

"Hahaha, you wish!" Sir Andy's boisterous laugh filled the air.

"That's what I like about you, Mendoza. You've got spunk!" he said while raising his arm to do a fist pump.

Buti na lang talaga may sense of humor si boss. Kung hindi, baka matagal na ko nasisante. I thought thankfully and humorously.

"Hindi talaga ako nagkamali sa pagpili sa 'yo as reporter," he said while still laughing and swiveling left and right in his chair.

"Nice try but no. But it's something just as exciting."

His face turned serious. "Maine, ayos ba travel documents mo? I hope your passport is still valid for more than six months...."

Yada yada yada. I tuned out the rest of what Sir Andy was saying. I fumbled around in my pocket to reach for my phone.

Sir Andy was still talking, explaining to me the details of my trip but I really wasn't listening.

Instead, as soon as I whipped out my phone, I started texting, Yo RJ, guess what....

I couldn't wait to share with him the good news.

I'll be going to Singapore as well for the ASEAN summit!