A Brave New World

Start from the beginning

"We know. It's okay, Baby." My mother assured me, moving her hands on both sides of my face and held it in them, her thumbs on my cheeks. "It's okay. Let the guilt go, Des. It wasn't your fault, Baby." My lip trembled as she hugged me again.

"Am I dying? What is this place?" I question, once more looking around the cave.

"Right now, you're currently in the state between life and death, bardo." David answered, "I'm going to let you in on a secret, Baby. Whether you live or you die, it's all up to you. We may be a bit bias when it comes to you because we're your parents, but we always want you to keep fighting."

"Des, look at your family." Elizabeth added, waving her hand as a mirror appeared on the wall and the reflection changed to mission command as the team, Donald, and Douglas watching me sadly, hoping that I'll pull through. "You made a big impact on them. They're different since you first met them."

"Different how?" I quietly ask.

"Before, they were a team but not a team team, you know? They were more alone. Then you showed up, gave them all a whole new perspective. Guess that's the difference of fighting against something and fighting for something or someone." Elizabeth answered.

"You telling me continue my fight? What if I just end up destroying it up even more? What if I just keep making the same mistake over and over?" I speak up.

"That's how you learn. Look, life is just this one big, stinking mess. You can't just give up after you fall down. You rise up and try again. But you already know that. That's who you've always been. A fighter. So, we love you, and we'll see you when it's truly your time, but for now, it is not." David replied, holding me in a reassuring hug, his hand on the back of my head.

I nod and look over at my mother who moved her fingers across my cheek and then cupped the side of my face gently. "We are so proud of you, Baby. And, just know, we're always with you- in here." She moved her right hand over my heart and looked me in the eye, nodding a little. 

I smile a little as everything faded away and disappeared, turning completely white and very bright.

***

Chase straightened up in his seat beside the table where Destiny was laying on, his hand holding her hand

Chase straightened up in his seat beside the table where Destiny was laying on, his hand holding her hand. He noticed her pulse dropping even more as his free hand lit up with electricity; Chase jumpstarted her heart with his electricity power, speeding up her pulse some. "Come on, Des, there's only so much I can do... Please stay." Chase murmured, squeezing her hand in his. "I need you."

Destiny slowly opened her brown eyes and moved her left hand over his wrist as his hand held her right hand across her waist. Chase looked up and sighed in relief. "I'm not go-going anywhere." She assured him, her voice weak slightly.