Six

Evelyn found herself pressing her lips against those of some girl whose name she'd already forgotten, who, by some miracle, was around Evelyn's own age, and admitted to having snuck in with a fake ID. The girl was sober, still, and offered to buy Evelyn a drink.

"I can get you a beer?" The girl asked, pulling the two apart. "They have pretty much everything here. There's one called The Trooper, it's an Iron Maiden one, which is weird, but it's good."

"Iron Maiden have beer?" Evelyn said, amazed. "Damn. Alright, I'll try it."

The girl slid her hand into Evelyn's. "I've forgotten your name, sweetheart," she told Evelyn, tiptoeing to reach the other girls ear.

"Evelyn," Evelyn replied over the music.

"I'm Miriam," the girl reintroduced herself. "You're a good kisser, sweetheart."

"You're none to bad yourself," Evelyn grinned. "Is it okay if I wait here for you?"

"Sure, but don't run off. I've been here ages and you are by far the most beautiful girl I've seen here."

"Thank you," Evelyn blushed. That statement made her feel happier than just about anything else she'd heard. Not only did she pass as female, but Miriam said she was the most beautiful girl at the club. That did wonders for her self esteem, and lord knows she needed to work on that. "You're pretty fine yourself."

Miriam smiled, and kissed Evelyn's lips again, then vanished into the crowd, heading towards the bar. Evelyn leaned against the wall, pulling her phone out of her bag. It was almost flat, and she sighed. She couldn't even text Ezra whilst she was waiting. Glum, she slipped it back into her bag.

She scanned the crowd, bored, wondering if she'd be able to see Maia or Christa or maybe even Charlie, or George, if she was unlucky. She couldn't see any of them, and she was glad, but also slightly disappointed that she'd lost Maia, and Evelyn had to remind herself that she was the one who had left the other girl, not the other way around.

Miriam soon returned with two beers in clear plastic cups, and handed one to Evelyn, who sipped it, and grimaced. Miriam laughed.

"Never drank before?" She asked. Evelyn shook her head, attempting to cross her arms, but the beer she was holding made it difficult. "Don't worry, I'm not a good drinker. It's haram," Miriam explained.

"Haram?"

"It means it's not allowed. I'm Muslim, but I'm non-practicing, much to the dismay of my parents, who would very much like it if I prayed or wore a hijab."

"I don't know much about Muslims," Evelyn admitted.

"Well, first off, I'm not a terrorist, okay?"

"I didn't think you were."

"Secondly, I'm agnostic, if Allah is out there then good for him, and third, I am a normal person, so don't treat me any different because I'm Muslim, alright?"

"Of course," Evelyn told her, but she was scared she'd do something to upset the girl or offend her.

"Can I kiss you again?" Miriam asked, and Evelyn nodded. The other girl pressed their lips together and shoved Evelyn against the wall. Evelyn felt Miriam's hands moving downwards, but she didn't stop her, interested to see where it would lead.

Her own hands were on Miriam's waist, and she wondered what Miriam would do if she moved them lower. Her head hurt slightly from being pressed against the wall, but she didn't care, not with Miriam kissing the life out of her.

This was by no means Evelyn's first kiss, but she wasn't an experienced kisser, and she was constantly worried that she'd be bad at it, but she relaxed under Miriam's touch, which seemed to take away all the tension she felt.