One

Evelyn did not like being at home. At all. In fact, she despised it. She despised her parents, her brothers, the mould in the bathroom, everything in the goddamned house. She hated her bedroom the least, though, because her bedroom didn't tell her that she was a freak and deserved to die.

Because Evelyn had a problem,  and that problem came in the form of a dick. She disliked her dick intensely, as it meant her family thought she was a boy, but it did have a few upsides, like not having to sit down if she needed to use a public toilet, because, let's face it, that shit is disgusting.

And every day Evelyn woke up and contemplated death, wondering what would be the easiest way to off herself. She wouldn't go through with it, she knew she wouldn't, because she had this tiny little bit of hope, and that tiny little bit of hope came in the form of a girl called Maia.

Maia was Evelyn's best friend, and the only person who called Evelyn by her name, by Evelyn, and not Aiden, like everyone else did. Evelyn was so grateful for Maia, and was probably more than a little bit in love with her for that.

Evelyn wasn't the only kid who loved Maia. The boys at their school wanted to have Maia, the girls at their school wanted to be Maia. Tall, slim, popular, pretty, kind, clever, an amazing singing voice, played the violin, played hockey, Maia was the cliché girl, tragically beautiful, so hard to get.

Maia did play hard to get, and Evelyn didn't like that. Evelyn didn't like watching Maia bite her lip, shake her ass, wear short skirts, wink at the boys, just so they'd drool a little more. She never went for any of them, which left Evelyn in a frustrated mess.

Because Evelyn did not have a crush on Maia, no sir. She did not want to kiss her best friend.

Except she did, she really did, she was just in denial. Evelyn didn't have a chance with Maia, because Maia was extremely heterosexual, and Evelyn was a flaming lesbian. Aiden would have a chance with Maia, but Evelyn? No way.

Evelyn supposed she could pretend to be a straight boy, but she didn't want to. She wanted people to respect her as a girl, but society wouldn't do that for her, because society is a bitch and society is strangely against anyone doing anything even remotely positive. Because God forbid you be black, or Muslim, or gay, or single, or a virgin over the age of fifteen. Which was really stupid, and what about people who were all of those?

And Evelyn wasn't really sure if dating girls would ever go well for her, because when the people she hit on realised she had a dick they would leave, and all the straight girls and gay guys would come flocking towards her, thinking about Evelyn's genitals and not her gender.

Aiden did not exist, but Evelyn wished he did. Sometimes she wished she could just be comfortable with being called 'he', she wished she didn't want to wear dresses or skirts or makeup or jewelry, but she did, and that was not something she was proud of. She wasn't proud of being trans, not at all, not since Caitlyn Jenner or however you spelled it, because she was a shitty way to judge the trans community.

But she was famous, she had money, she was a Jenner, and she stayed in the mainstream spotlight for long after her career as an athlete ended, and now people would look at her and her hypocritical, Trump-supporting ass and think all the trans people were like that, and really, Evelyn wasn't. Evelyn absolutely despised her president, and the whole thing with the army has really pissed her off.

Not that she'd ever go fight for her country; she was probably the least patriotic American she knew. She didn't particularly want to get herself shot or blown up, either, so she stayed right out of the way, but there were fifteen thousand transgender troops in that goddamned army, or so she'd heard, and now that racist Cheeto of a president wanted to get rid of them because they cost a lot and that was a burden they could deal without. Yeah right, because the military needed to spend $40 million on Viagra, and eight and a half million dollars was too much to spend on transgender people.