Upon entering my house, I heard what sounded like crying coming from the kitchen. I threw my ruined backpack on the ground and ran into the kitchen to see my mother crying while reading a letter. My mother was a kind and strong woman. Raising me was no easy feat, she had the scars to prove it. She had gotten it by a car a few years ago when the two of us went to the grocery store together. She ended up becoming paralyzed from the waist down due to the accident. But, never once did she plan me for what happened. I wish the rest of our family could have felt the same way.

I threw my bag onto the floor and ran to kitchen to find my mother in her wheelchair, crying with a envelope in her hands.

"M-Mom? Are you okay? You're crying....", I walked in front of her and crouched down to her level. 

She shoved the letter in my face, "Look! It's from Hope's Peak! Hope's Peak Academy!"

"What?", I took the envelope with shaky hands and began to examine it.

It was a black envelope with only this symbol on it:

The symbol of Hope's Peak Academy, the school that teaches the Ultimate Students

I just stared at the envelope in disbelief, trying to understand why Hope's Peak would send a letter to my house. 

"This must be a mistake or some kind of prank", I mutter under breath so that my mother can not hear me. 

"Hurry up and open it!", my mother says with clear excitement in her voice. 

I slowly open the envelope and pull out a letter addressed to me.

I began to read it aloud, "It says

Dear (Y/N) ( L/N),

We here at Hope's Peak Academy had heard rumors about you, a young man that is cursed with bad luck. Luck, both good and bad, have been a complete mystery to all of our researchers at Hope's Peak. So someone like you has piqued our interest. 

We decided to perform a test to see if you truly do possess bad luck. We took all the names that were in our lottery for the Ultimate Lucky Student and preformed the lottery again. This time we set it so that all but one name would be pulled. We performed this experiment 100 times. Every single time, your name was the only one not chosen. This defies all logic. We immediately sent a scout to your town to investigate you. He confirmed that the story's about you were 100% true. To quote him, 'I've never seen such a sad sight in my whole entire life'.

Someone like you is a once and a lifetime find that we can't afford to lose. So it's my great pleasure to invite you, (Y/N) (L/N), to attend Hope's Peak Academy as the Ultimate Unlucky Student. You will be a member of Class 77. 

I look forward to your arrival and studying the lengths of your talent.

-Headmaster Jin Kirigiri"

"This is wonderful! You're finally getting your reward for everything you've had to go through in life! When I saw the envelope, I couldn't help but get emotional", my mom smiled  at me with tears in her eyes, "They want you!"

Hope's Peak Academy wanted me. They declared my bad luck a talent worthy of their recognition. This was a once and a lifetime opportunity that I couldn't pass up. So preparations were made for my mother to stay with my older sister in Towa City while I attended Hope's Peak. My mother forced me to make a promise to her before we parted ways. I promised that no matter what, I'd always stay strong and keep moving forward. The last time I saw my mother was when she and my older sister dropped me off at the academy. 

It's been about two months since the entrance ceremony and all I can say is, I'm glad I didn't pay to come to this place! 

Things here are just as bad as they were at my old school. The moment I told my classmates what my talent was, they immediately began to avoid me. And our homeroom teacher is just some lazy alcoholic. The only bright side is I'm not required to attend any classes, so I don't have to deal with the worried glances my classmates always give me. 

But, as long as I can graduate from that school, it will all be worth it. Even someone like me is guaranteed success if I can graduate. If I can survive till graduation, I'll be able to repay my mother for all of the sacrifices she's made for me. Here's hoping my talent doesn't kill me before that happens. I'd say wish me luck, but trust me, that won't do much.