6

After a long and painfully quiet taxi ride, they finally made it to the Essex County Hospital.

2D was the first to leap out of the car and enter the building, Noodle following close behind as Russel paid for cab fair. 

Stuart tried to regain a bit of composure as he entered the lavish establishment, slowing his pace and trying to control his nerves. After spending most of his life in hospitals due to the various accidents in his life, he wasn't too fond of the place. It didn't help when he saw a nearby family in tears, crying about how they had just lost a loved one.

The singer slowly approached the front desk, placing his hand on Noodle's shoulder for reassurance; whether it was for him or for her however, he wasn't sure.

"What can I help you with, sir?" The lady running the desk asked in a cheery tone as if she wasn't working in a hospital but rather a children's water park. 

"U-Uh... We're 'ere ta see Mu'doc Niccals."

His grasp on the guitarists shoulder tightened a bit as he watch the lady give them a sympathetic look then proceeded to dial someone on the phone.

"Dr. Hanson? Yes... They're here for Mr. Niccals... Okay, I'll send them right up."

The lady turned back to the tall, blue haired singer, a sympathetic smile returning once more.

"His room is on the second floor, 207. Dr. Hanson will meet you outside."

Stuart gave the woman a quick nod as he departed, following a narrow hall to a staircase that would take him to where he needed to be. 

His heart raced quicker than he had ever felt it do before as he watched the room numbers go by.

203, 204, 205, 206...

207.

Just as the lady downstairs had mentioned, Dr. Hanson was waiting for them outside of the room. She looked as if she were in her mid to late 40's. Long, brown hair pulled back into a tight ponytail, emerald green eyes that were welcoming and calming, and barely visible wrinkles hinting at the corners of her eyes.

"You must be Stuart. It's a pleasure to meet you- though I wish it were under better circumstances. My name is Dr. Hanson, you may call me Julie though if you wish. And I see you brought company."

Stuart turned around to see both Noodle and Russel had caught up and were now behind him. Noodle was still firmly at his side while Russel laid a hand on the poor girl's shoulder to calm her as she was obviously growing worried.

"Pleasure to meet ya, Miss. My name is Russel." He introduced, shaking her hand in the process.

Then she leaned down to Noodle who hid herself slightly behind the singer's back.

"What's your name, sweetheart?" 

"Noodle." She blushed, shying away a little bit more.

"You all seem like wonderful people, it's a pleasure to meet you..." Her eyes dropped a little bit and a small frown found its way onto her features. "Concerning Mr. Niccals... Do you mind if I speak with you alone, Stuart?"

The bluenette gave a light nod as the doctor guided them into Murdoc's hospital room.

The walls were a drab shade of white with little to no decoration on them, and the room was littered with all kinds of medical equipment with a small seating area in the far corner by his bed.

Murdoc himself, however, could not be seen. There was a thin, blue sheet between them and the Satanist that acted as a divider, 2D couldn't tell if he was thankful for it or not. He just wanted to make sure he was going to be okay, but part of him wasn't ready to see the damage that he caused.

The bluenette was quickly pulled from his thoughts as Dr. Hanson grabbed his arm in a gentle, caring manor.

"I would've told you out there but I didn't know you'd have a young one with you. How old is she?" The doctor asked, giving him the same sympathetic smile the nurse downstairs did.

"Fifteen, she doesn't speak much English, though." He answered.

"Poor girl, this must be hard for all of you I imagine... Anyway, about Mr. Niccals' condition... He was doing quite well earlier, and his physical condition hasn't  gotten any worse since we admitted him." She began, fiddling with a clipboard she had picked up when she entered the room.

Something wasn't right. She was definitely avoiding telling him something. His mind could only race through the possibilities of whatever was wrong with him.

"However,"

There it was.

"He has amnesia. When he first woke up after the incident, he couldn't remember a single thing. He knew his name and that was about it. We looked through his phone and it appeared as if you were his only contact; but we mentioned your name to him and he said he didn't remember you. We've already run tests to see how severe the damage is, but the results haven't come in yet. Hopefully if we-"

Stuart's mind went numb, unable to process what the doctor was saying. It felt as if his heart sunk in his chest. Murdoc could be stuck like this forever all because of his dumb mistake. And if he didn't remember them... he wouldn't have a reason to be with them anymore. He could move on and start a new, more productive life. One that didn't involve the band. One that didn't involve 2D.

"C-Can I see 'im?" The singer asked shakily, cutting off whatever the doctor had been trying to tell him.

Julia offered him a small smile before gently tightening her grip on his arm.

"He's asleep right now, but we can go see him. Just... don't be alarmed; when you see him at first I mean. The accident was pretty bad."

He felt his stomach drop once more as he followed her to the other side of the room. (add more)

There he was. 

White bandages and gauze pads that were lightly stained with blood adorned his arms, chest, and head. While he didn't appear to have any broken bones, stitched together cuts were visible all throughout his body. IV and nutrition lines were secured to his arms, pumping sustenance into him to keep him stable. To the left of his bed was a heart monitor, beeping at moderate pace, albeit a tad slower than normal.

His face caught 2D off guard though. 

There was a white bandage wrapped around his head, hiding underneath his greasy, black fringe. He had stitched together cuts near his eyes and on his cheeks, making them slightly red with irritation. His mouth was slightly parted as he took in slow, steady breaths; revealing his naturally sharp teeth and busted bottom lip.

He looked so different.

Nothing like the strong, fierce, angry Murdoc he was used to. No, the man before him looked broken; mere fragments of the Satanist he once knew.

He looked like a complete stranger; and it killed him to even think that.