5

Stuart remembered everything clearly.

It was a Thursday afternoon, the day after Murdoc had told him to keep his distance and bugger off. He did as he was told, too scared to even think about interacting with the bassist any further; but he assumed it would blow over in given time when his 'best mate' needed a new song or drinking buddy. 

However, when 2D sent Russel to go check on the Satanist to make sure he wasn't doing anything stupid, he reported that Murdoc wasn't in his Winne and the Geep was gone.

At first, the bluenette assumed it was a good thing. Murdoc had went off into the town to cool off perhaps. Maybe gambled his worries away or something like that.

Thing was though, Murdoc never came back.

Stuart kept his cool. Or tried his best to. He didn't want to let his mind wander too far. In fact, he wasn't too sure why he was even worried. The Satanist never cared about him so why should he waste his feelings on reciprocating something he was never given? That's what he wanted to think anyway.

But one day quickly turned into three with absolutely no contact from Murdoc.

He tried his hardest- he really did; but 2D couldn't stop himself from overflowing with concern for his missing friend. He needed to do something. He couldn't even deny it anymore, this was his fault. And if something happened to Murdoc... he wouldn't be able to live with himself.

If he wanted to track him down, he'd need help.

"Wha' should we do?" Stuart asked his band mates who were now all gathered in the living room of Kong Studios upon his request.

"'D, I think you're overthinking this. Murdoc's done this before. Just give him a little time to cool off. I'm sure he's fine." Russel commented.

"He hurt Toochi!" Noodle added, crossing her arms and huffing at the thought.

It was true, 2D did spill what had happened that night to his friends, but he didn't care anymore. He just wanted Murdoc to be at home where he was safe.

"Wha' if he's 'urt or somefin'? I tried-"

"'D, Murdoc doesn't deserve your time. You know that sleazy bas- jerk is probably just downtown foolin' around. Don't worry about him." 

Suddenly, 2D's phone rang.

He quickly retrieved it from his pocket and looked over the caller ID.

Murdoc.

The bluenette fumbled with his phone for a second before answering it, a wave of silent relief washing over him.

"Mu'doc?"

"Hello? Is this Stuart Pot?" 

The voice on the other side of the receiver belonged to a woman. It threw the bluenette off for a second. Perhaps it was just a bird he'd been spending all of his time with; but the worried tone in her voice told him otherwise.

"Y-Yes? Who are you?"

"You were the only emergency contact on Mr. Niccals's phone. My name is Dr. Julie Hanson... head doctor of the Essex County Hospital. I've called to inform you that your friend is here in the hospital. He's in critical condition."

Stuart nearly dropped his phone.

"Wha'?!"

"He was brought in yesterday. He was involved in a nasty car accident, it wasn't his fault so insurance will cover it. However, we do need to discuss some... complications with you. In person preferably. When would be a good time for you?"

Russel and Noodle watched as Stuart became as white as a ghost, his hands shaking as he tried to find the words to respond to the person on the other line. 

"W-We'll be there r-righ' away."

Stuart quickly stood up, panic racing through him like a thousand bullets.

"What's up 'D, who was that?" Russel asked, standing from the couch to approach the singer, Noodle following closely behind.

"I-It's Muds... he's in the hospi'al."

"What did he do, drink himself into a coma?" The older man scoffed, obviously disinterested. 

Noodle looked up at 2D with worry. 

The bluenette was almost mad at Russel for taking this so lightly. He understood that Murdoc might've been a pain sometimes, but to outright disregard his safety and well being seemed a bit harsh.

"He got in a car accident," Stuart began, feeling numb just thinking about it, "I-It wasn't 'is fault, but h-he's in critical condition. We 'ave to go see 'im!"

Russel immediately engulfed his friend in a hug, seeing that 2D was nearly in tears. He shouldn't have said what he did, but Murdoc treated the singer so badly, he just wished 2D would see that he deserved better than that.

"I'm sorry, 'D. That was out of line for me to say. We better get a move on though, doubt he wants to be alone in there."

All Stuart could do is nod as he followed Russ and Noodle outside and waited for a taxi to arrive.

This was all his fault. Everything was. If he had just kept his distance like his common sense told him to that night, Murdoc wouldn't be in critical condition at a hospital. Perhaps the two of them could've been playing video games or watching the latest zombie film. Maybe Murdoc wouldn't have been ecstatic about it, but he would've been safe. He wouldn't have been alone.

He would've been by his side.