Baby, You're No Good

"Wait for me!" I panicked, hoping my impatient roommates didn't leave me.

I rushed into the living room while yanking on my shorts, only to stop when I saw Rosalie, one of my best friends and most impatient roommate of us all, chilling on the couch with her legs propped up on the coffee table.

"Relax, Bella," she drawled. "No one's leaving you."

"I heard the door opening and closing."

"It was just Tanya and Brady."

"They're coming to the barbeque?" I both perked up and internally deflated. I hadn't seen Tanya—Rosalie's twin sister—in a few weeks since she moved in with her new boyfriend. While I missed her like crazy, her four-year-old son coming along meant this would be a PG friendly night. This didn't sound at all enticing.

Rosalie shook her head, not looking up from her phone. "She didn't tell baby daddy where she moved yet. So he's picking Brady up from here."

Not touching that one. "Where's Alice?" I asked of our other roommate.

Rosalie huffed. "Hopefully changing into human skin."

Ah. That meant she was on bitch mode. Super.

"Let's get this the fuck over with." Alice came out of her room a few minutes later with puffy, red eyes as if she'd been crying, or smoking, or both. Rosalie and I looked at each other, pursed our lips, and then looked away.

Where Rose was the most impatient, none of us could out crazy Alice, and we knew better than to fuck with her when she was in a mood. "Where's the vodka?" Alice asked, and Rose and I nearly tripped over ourselves, and each other, to help her find the bottle. It would have been comical if we weren't legitimately a little frightened of her. "Want some?" Alice offered after she'd taken several swigs herself. I reached passed Rosalie for the bottle only for her to freak out and snatch it out of my hands.

"Eww, mono!" She hugged the large bottle of Cîroc to her chest.

"Stop calling it that. I had strep."

"Allegedly," she mumbled, taking a step back.

"And I finished my antibiotics, like, three days ago."

"That doesn't mean you're not contagious."

"That's exactly what it means, actually."

"I don't have time for this." Alice grabbed the bottle from Rosalie. "This is mine now, you guys can drink when we get there."

Properly chastised, Rosalie and I followed behind Alice silently, purposely bumping into each other on the way out.

We were on our way to yet another party at Alice's boyfriend, Jasper, house. He was ten years older than us and a complete piece of shit on paper. As were we. But, he treated her like gold and us like little sisters. The guys he rolled with always respected us. That's all that mattered.

Jasper didn't live that far away from us, but it was still a decent drive away because of how the roads connected, so for a good twenty minutes, nothing but silence accompanied us in the car as Alice drove and Rose and I texted back and forth about who should ask her what's wrong.

Neither one of us won the battle.

When we got to the party, Alice immediately pulled Jasper to another room, where for the first five minutes we listened to her screaming about his ex who contacted her on Facebook. The arguing didn't bother me, but the when the moaning started we all decided to stop loitering inside.