Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

"I agree with you," I say. "And if you felt like she'd hurt him, then you did right by taking him. Simple as that."

"The public will not like it, even him living here while we find somewhere for him."

"Who cares what they think? And it won't last forever. The baby will stay here, where he's safe."

He nods. "I am going to find the father tonight. I want to speak with him."

I purse my lips. "I think it's obvious he doesn't want him."

"Then I want to be able to tell him how despicable he is. Out of all the blame consistently thrown around, he truly is responsible. He willingly entered into a relationship with The Queen of England and then disappeared when the going got tough, without a second thought of the child he helped produce."

I nod, immensely attracted to the paternal side I'm seeing from him. "You did the right thing. Nicole can't be trusted."

"She didn't even truly care that I took him from her. It was... appalling. She sounded like a mad woman."

"She is a mad woman," I utter and he laughs, nodding. No one can deny that. Nicole is probably one of the only people I could call truly evil.

...

I stare at the phone on my desk, one finger pressed to my lips. I'm having a hard time actually using it. The red case with my name on the side is in the center of the desk, full of urgent matters, urgent letters I must sign.

But I have something to do first. I reach out, pressing the button to Ivan's new office.

"Yes, sir?"

"Ivan, can you patch me to The Fountain's main line? Have someone find the owner, Octavio for me."

"Of course, sir," he says, before putting me on hold. It's minutes before I finally hear a voice, but it's not Octavio's.

"Your Majesty," Arnold Freeman says politely. I recognize his voice immediately. "I'm sorry, Octavio is actually on vacation for the next couple days so I'm here in his stead."

"He left a guest in charge of his club?" I ask, curiously.

"Well... I am a co-owner now."

Shit. I begin to rethink Mia performing there. "I see. And... how is business? Good, I hope."

"Very well. We have had a few sold out nights this month."

"Good," I say, trying to think of my options now. "Um, well, then I guess I can speak with you on the matter then, if you are the owner."

"I will do whatever is in my power."

I breathe in, surprised how hard this is for me. "It's about- Mia. I- want her to continue performing."

The line is quiet for a few moments. "Performing? Is that allowed, since she is queen?"

"I'm making it so it's allowed."

"Wow, that is kind of you... Has Mia expressed wanting to come back to The Fountain?" I hear the longing in his voice just speaking her name. My hand fists in my lap.

"No. She hasn't... but after everything that's happened, I want her to live a full life."

"This has always been the silver lining to your relationship. I think... I think Mia knew what she was getting into."

"Arnold, I have no idea how long this heart will sustain her. It could be thirty years or it could be one. I-I don't want her to regret picking me."