District Four

Sweat trickles down my face, just one of those days I wish the sun never existed. I'm panting like crazy, we have to stop running... "This way," Spear orders. We don't argue, we're desperate. Just more trees and mud, what kind of forest is this? There's no way out I swear. "Crawl. Now," Joash loudly whispers. We duck and begin crawling under a bush until we are completely hidden. That's when we see the peacekeepers stomp past us, about 8 of them. "That was way too close," I say under my breath. "I'll climb a tree and make sure we have no more suprises," Spear says. We all crawl out and stand up. My mussles ache from running. "Ash help me find a tree,and Hope you stay here," he tells us. I sit down again and gather up my thoughts. What happened was me and my two bestfriends, Spear and Joash, were walking to the beach. We decided to go into the forest because we kept hearing strange noises in there, not the brightest idea. All we brought was a simple knife. Then after about only five minutes of walking we see peacekeepers, probably about two dozen of them, all gathered in a circle. In shock I dropped my knife, because I've never seen anybody in this forest. Several of them hear the knife drop to the ground and go investigate. As we start running away, they shout after and chase us. Then we ended up here. "Coast is clear, I think we should keep traveling left . Ready?" Spear asks. "Yeah, sounds good. I just wanna get out of this place and head to the beach," I tell him. After what seems like forever we get out of the forest and head towards the beach. Once we get there the sun is setting, the sky is a beautiful pink and dandelion orange. We sit down so only the waves get up to our feet. I look over and see Spear frowning, his eyes fixed on the sea. I don't even bother to ask what's wrong, I already know. Tomorrow's reaping day, where the Capitol randomly chooses one young man and woman from each district, one through twelve, to go into an arena and fight until there is one survivor left. Spear's father was a victor and ironically named his son after the weapon he won his games with, a spear. But the thing is Spear would never leave his family, which now is only his two younger siblings and sick mother. Even though if he did get reaped he could win, he's a giant at 17, expert with a trident, and could win sponsers with his handsome light brown hair and deep blue eyes. I look over to Joash, he looks worried too. He could win also, sure he's small at 15, (only a year older than me) but he's fast and can shoot anything with a bow. "I'm gonna get going," Spear tells us. Then in unison we say, "May the odds be ever in your favor."