Chapter 2

Sitting by the window of her hotel room, Alanna stared out the window. It was 9AM, and it was gloomy and chilly out in London. An hour later a knock came at her door. She knew it would be her Uncle, but he was early. Alanna hurriedly opened the door and saw her Uncle as well as another familiar face staring back at her.

Major Louis Daniel.

"Hello darling, I'm sorry we have to be meeting at such an unfortunate time" Michel said to her, giving her a tight hug.

"I know, please come in" Alanna said kindly.

"I'm sure you remember, Major Louis Daniel" Michel said as Alanna and Louis shook hands.

"Of course, I remember attending yours and Rebecca's wedding" Alanna said with a smile.

"Oh yes, you were just a young girl then" Louis said with a sweet smile. Naturally, Alanna would have asked about their son, but just a few years back Michel informed her that their son had been murdered.

"Well as Michel said, I'm sorry that we're meeting at an unfortunate time" Alanna said kindly.

"I know she was a friend of yours, so I'm sorry for your loss" Louis said back with his French accent.

"I as well yours" Alanna replied.

"I know I said we would pick you up at 10:30, but we have some business to attend to first" Michel said.

"Business?" Alanna asked confused. She thought this was just a trip to say goodbye to an old friend.

"Sienna was working for our criminal task force created under the ICC" Louis said.

"The International Crime Court" Alanna said, looking to her Uncle. She knew he worked for them.

"Correct, I have assembled a team that works to focus in on cross border crimes. Louis is the head of the team. Now that Sienna has left, we need someone with just as good of a skill set as she did" Her Uncle said.

"I'm guessing that would be me?" Alanna asked, feeling a bit flustered.

"I read over your file and am impressed. I'm sure Sienna would be proud to have you join the team" Louis assured.

"I'm honored, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes by taking her place" Alanna said.

"You're not taking anyone's place, your joining a team" Louis corrected.

Alanna looked at both men and wasn't sure.

"I'll give you some time to think about it, but I'm going to need an answer by the end of the service" Michel said.

While at the service Alanna stood near her Uncle but across from her was Major Louis Daniel. A few men and women stood behind him and she figured that to be his team. She easily could have profiled each one of them at that moment but instead she focused in on saying goodbye to her old friend, Sienna.

As the service ended, Michel pulled Alanna aside.

"I don't want to put pressure on you, but have you thought about what we spoken about earlier today?" He asked her.

She turned around to look at the team then back to Michel.

"I'd have to talk to my boss first" Alanna said.

"That I can take care of, so is that a yes?" He asked with a glint of hope in his eyes.

"Yeah, yes, I'd love to" Alanna said, forcing out a smile. She wasn't sure what she was getting herself into, but it would be a new chapter in her life.