Day of the Moon (pt 2)

Start from the beginning

The man grunted at me, and the Doctor tugged my arm to pull me away from him, just barely revealing a smile.

888

"What?" I asked River, who wouldn't stop staring at me as I fixed some TARDIS controls. Rory and the Doctor were outside, dropping off President Nixon at his oval office.

"You're growing up," she smiled.

"Yeah, that's what happens..." I trailed, not knowing what she meant.

"Are you feeling alright?" River asked me, as though she was trying not to sound too worried.

"Yes? I mean, I was kind of sad but, you know, reuniting with people after three months and then stepping into the first rocket to land on the moon can shake up your mood a bit." I gave a small laugh.

"I mean, medically. How's your health?" River asked me, walking up to me and placing a hand on my forehead.

"Fine? I'm... a little hungry?" River seemed to freeze when she held her hand to my forehead, as if she had noticed something. "Are you feeling alright?"

River grabbed my locket swiftly, but I quickly grabbed her wrist. "You are not pulling that on me again."

River laughed. "So I've already done that to you? At the pandorica?"

"Yes..."

River tugged at my necklace again anyway, and this time, her face fell again, even further than when she touched my forehead.

"River, what's wrong?" I asked, moving away, feeling protective over my locket.

"You're growing up. You're learning more. And eventually, you're going to know who I really am," She sighed solemnly.

"What's wrong with who you really are? I mean, you're Amy and Rory's daughter, you're the kid in the suit, I know that." I tried, thankful to the universe that my parasite did not trigger, and that she already knew what I was talking about.

"That's who I am to Amy and Rory, and who I am to the Doctor. Not who I am to you."

"Why can't you just tell me?"

"Because... If I tell you who I am, you'll find out what I did even faster."

"What is it?" I tried again, moving closer this time.

River shrugged. "Sad."

"River," I whined, sick of her vagueness, grabbing her arm and wiggling it around, trying to annoyingly make her tell me.

"I'm just really sorry." River tried, shrugging again.

I shrugged too. "Well then, apology accepted."

River laughed. We both knew that whatever would happen, or had already happened, or was happening-- was way more complicated and sad and dangerous than that. But we were both awfully good at pretending.

I laughed too. Maybe that was why we got along.

The TARDIS phone rang, and when River picked it up, her face fell again. "What do you mean, Amy's gone?"

River didn't even look to me, and in her panicked state, left the phone hanging off the console and ran to throw open the TARDIS doors. "Doctor, it's Canton! Quick, he needs us!"

Pretending only worked so well.

888

Canton stood in front of a door, pointing his gun at it, sweat rolling down his face. "Amy, can you hear me? I'm going to try to blow the lock, I need you to stand back!"

"No wait!" I sprinted ahead, grabbing Canton's arm and preventing him from firing a bullet.

"I've got it!" The Doctor took out his sonic, and used it on the lock. "Amy, we're here. Are you okay?"

"I can't see!" She cried back.

The door opened, and when we entered, it was obvious Amy wasn't there. On the floor was a space suit, which was out of place in the little girl's nursery.

"Where is she, Doctor?" Rory asked.

River opened the space suit helmet. "It's empty."

I picked up a nano recorder from the ground, and gave it to Rory. Amy's voice blared through it. "It's dark, so dark. I don't know where I am. Please, can anybody hear me?"

"They took this out of her? How did they do that? Where is she?" Rory asked me.

I shook my head silently.

Rory gulped as he listened to Amy's sobs through the tiny device. "Why can I still hear her?"

"Is it a recording?" River asked.

The Doctor scanned the recorder with his screwdriver. "It defaults to live. This is current. Wherever she is right now, this is what she's saying."

Rory held the recorder up to his lips, speaking desperately. "Amy, can you hear me? Wherever you are, we're coming, I swear."

"She can't hear you. I'm so sorry, it's one way." The Doctor explained, his head hung low.

Rory grew angry. "She can always hear me, Doctor. Always, wherever she is. She knows that I am coming for her, do you understand me?" His eyes were glassy. "Always."

"Doctor, are you out there? Can you hear me? Doctor? Oh, God. Please, please, Doctor, just get me out of this." Amy choked. The Doctor looked down, almost ashamed.

Rory could not hide his disappointment, but he also couldn't hide his worry. "He's coming. I'll bring him, I swear."

"Hello, is someone in there?" A frail looking man in an ill-fitting suit stumbled into the doorway. "I think someone has been shot! I think we should help... We..." The man's face eased from panic to confusion, as if it happened all the time. "I can't... I can't remember."

The Doctor immediately ran after him, and followed him into a darker, more beat-up looking room, with a beat-up looking silent on the floor, gunshot.

The Doctor sent me a look, as if asking me if I wanted to go ahead. After all, it was this species which controlled the parasite in my brain-- but that was the reason I stepped back. I couldn't think of anything useful I could do.

The Doctor knelt down, and slowly reached out a hand towards the Silent, but not touching it. "Okay... Who and what are you?"

I didn't know if it was just because it was shot, or because now i was up close, but the Silent looked extra slimey and gross-- like each tiny ripple in its skin was oozing with some sort of alien sweat. Like uncooked meat.

Its shattering voice was equally unpleasant. "Silence, Doctor. We are the Silence." It held a four-pronged hand to the wound that seemed to be oozing dirty soap. "And silence will fall."

a/n: sorry this one took forever, my brain was really fried and i was struggling for some reason but i'm back!