The Sorting Hat (Part One)

She swayed with the unsteady ground, one hand braced against the smooth, dark wood of the compartment doors, mindful not to smear the large glass windows.

As the brunette cautiously moved further down the extremely narrow corridor she noticed, much to her dismay, that most seats were already occupied. Knowing that she could not endure the cramped space for the entire journey, Briony hastily attempted to find somewhere suitable to dwell for the duration of the trip. 

Just as she passed another compartment, the door was slide open to reveal another eleven year old girl, who possessed wild, curly hair, intelligent brown eyes and rather large front teeth.

When the young girl noticed the startled brunette, a look of surprise flitted across her dark and delicate features, before she smiled and warmly said, "Hello."

Reciprocating the smile- although far more shyly- Briony lifted a hand as a silent greeting. "Hello." she eventually murmured back.

"I'm Hermione, Hermione Granger and you are?"

"Oh, um, I'm Briony Adams."

The curly-haired brunette noticed the animal cage Briony still had a hold of. "And who's this?"

Remembering that she still had her pet in her possession, Briony was swift to introduce him. "Oh, this is Percival. Percy for short."

Hermione crouched down to peer into the cage, a soft smile played upon her lips. "That's an interesting name, as in Percival the knight of the round table?"

Briony shook her head. "He's named after Percival Graves-"

"-the Director of Magical Laws in the twenties." Hermione replied, much to the other girl's surprise. "I read about him in A History Of MACUSA."

"So did I." Briony grinned, delighted to know that someone else had a similar interest in books. 

As Hermione opened her mouth to reply, the compartment to her left opened and a beautiful asian girl with waist length hair was instantly relieved to see Hermione. "Hey, sorry to interrupt but Neville has gone lost his toad again. I don't suppose you'd be able to help me look for him, would you?" she sighed, as she leaned against the door frame.

Rolling her eyes, Hermione consented to assisting with the search. "Honestly, why has no one taught him a simple summoning spell?" focusing her attention back on Briony, she looked rather annoyed by the interruption. The brunette made a mental note never to get on the wrong side of her. Ever. "If you have time later, maybe we could talk some more? It's no everyday you meet someone who's interested in America's wizarding history."

Elated to have made an acquaintance so soon, Briony grinned and nodded her head. "I'd really like that."

"Where are you sitting? I'll come and find you."

Suddenly feeling crestfallen, Briony realised that she still had nowhere to sit. "I was actually looking for somewhere when I bumped into you."she confessed.

"Have you looked in the next carriage? It wasn't as busy when I boarded the train.This half is always busier." the third girl suggested. "Or at least it was last year."

"Cho's in her second year." Hermione offered as a form of explanation.

"I haven't, no but I'll head that way now." Briony paused. "Which house were you sorted into?" she hoped it was Hufflepuff.

"Ravenclaw." she offered, a warm smile upon her soft, rosy lips.

"The clever house." the brunette nodded in acknowledgement.