Chapter 3 📎

CARA

It's been two days after the incident with Jason in the school's bathroom. After I had fainted I woke up in my room with James sitting on the edge of my bed. Apparently, Aiden saved my life from being suffocated out of my body. AGH! Why did Mother Nature and the fates have to pair us both together?

"Hey, sis, how are you holding up?" James asks. He's been asking me the same thing for the past two days. Annoying but still cute.

"I'm fine." I say smiling "Love you, bro."

"I love you too, sis." he replies.

"Wow, I can totally feel that I'm being loved too," Shay said with sarcasm as he walks into the kitchen.

James raised an eyebrow and gave Shay the are-you-serious look. I chuckled and told Shay that we loved him too.

"Really? We do?" James joked and I laughed. "I thought that was only Phoebe"

"You jackass," Shay said.

"Aww, Shay you're no fun. We're just messing with you." James said. "We do love little bro."

We eat breakfast and head out to school. Shay and I in my Camaro. James in his Charger right behind us. I still can't believe what Aiden said. How am I his mate? We don't get along and we completely hate each other.

"Cara, don't torture yourself by thinking about it," Shay said breaking the silence in my car.

Uh-huh. Right. Like I can do that.

"What are you talking about?" I decide to play dumb.

"Cara. you should get used to the idea that he is your mate. Nothing will change that."

"Easier said than done," I responded.

We got to school and I parked in an open space in the parking lot. James parked right beside us. We got out of our cars and started for the school.

"See you guys later!" I say to my brothers as I head for the first period.

"Okay, later sis," Shay says.

"Later," James says too.

Oh no... not that smell... I smell skunk. Is he stalking me or something?

"Go away Aiden," I say. "I don't want you anywhere near me."

"What? I can't walk my beautiful mate to the class that we happen to have together." He says.

Did he just call me beautiful? I halt and turn to face him.

"Beautiful?" I spat out. "Did you just call me beautiful?"

He frowns and says: "Yeah. Why?"

I turn on my heels and walk away from him. He follows and grabs my elbow.

"What just happened?" he asks.

"Aiden, you don't like me, in fact, you hate me," I said frustrated.

"I don't hate you... anymore," Aiden says.

"Why? Is it because we are mates?" I ask.

"Umm... yeah," Aiden says.

"Well, then mate forget it." I plead.

"Cara, I don't want to see you broken again now that you're my mate. You almost died before I even had you. I don't want to see you get hurt." Aiden states.

"You're kidding me, right? You talk like you haven't hurt me before. it looks completely lame that you care about me now." I say.

"Cara-" he starts to say but I turn my back towards him.