Chapter 29 - Surprise

Start from the beginning

“Well, I leave you two to do your thing. See you around, Ariel,” he tells me and leans in to kiss my cheek.

This is the first time he’s ever done that and I feel like every cell in my body stops moving and working and I’m frozen in time. Then he steps back and smiles at me so warmly that I feel how little by little I come alive again.

“Happy birthday one last time,” whispers Harry and before that he turns on his heels and leaves. “Bye, Mare,” he says before he crosses the door, leaving us alone inside.

When I look at Mare I can see her expression, which is like a Cheshire cat and I almost choke. “You two are ultimately adorable. Really.”

I look down, my cheeks burning bright and my heart racing in my chest again.

“Anyways, I have good news, Ari!” Mare says excitedly and she approaches me, her eyes bright with emotion. “I talked to my aunt today, Rhonda. She’s an odd woman, but she’s been very nice to me. Especially this last week, I don’t know why,” Mare muses and I guess it’s because Ella came last week. She told me she comes here to make sure Rhonda is being nice to all employees and I guess it’s working. “Well, regardless she’s not my real aunt, she’s helping me. Well, us! I told her about all what we’re doing and I even showed her our video and guess what!”

I blink, not knowing what could’ve happened after that.

“She offered us a spot during the Summer Ball! Isn’t that great?” Mare blurts out and saying I’m shocked is an understatement. “You know what the Summer Ball is, right? Just the biggest event this centre has!”

Mare couldn’t be more excited but I feel sick, the information sinking in my brain and all the implications overwhelming me.

First, this means I have to go to the ball, which I don’t think I’m capable of. Second, it means we’ll perform in front of people and I have no idea how that would work. Third, it means we only have five days.

Oh, I think I’m going to get sick.

“No, no, Ari. Don’t make that face! It’s going to be fine. Trust me! It’s just one song and I have it all planned now. You won’t have to face anyone but you can join the party if you want. And think about that as your homework. Being around people. You don’t have to talk to all of them but you can work on controlling your anxiety when you’re in a crowd. And what best chance to try if we can make this? Recording an album is one thing, but performing live is another and if we can do it here, then we can surely can do it later,” Mare speaks fast and excitedly.

If we get the deal,” I remind her and she claps.

“That’s the best part, Ari! At the Summer Ball many important people come, not only celebrities. Aunt Rhonda also sends invitations to people who work in the media, like agents! We could totally get a deal if we do our job on stage. I know we can do it. Ari, this is our chance.”

I take a deep breath, trying to calm down and see this for what it is: our best chance to get the deal. And if I go and I manage to join the party I can surprise Harry. I could actually spend the night with him. This would be the only chance we get to go to a ball together because I don’t honestly believe there will be another, like he said before today.

Maybe I can manage this. I know I’ll have Mare by my side and that if I feel like I’m drowning she’ll help me.

“Please, Ari, let’s do this. We’ll perform this song you wrote for me. You’ll sing from backstage and I’ll be in front. I’ll take care of the people, you take care of the music. Please,” she insists and I breathe in deeply, thinking about it.

It gets more appealing with every second and I’m sure that if people see Mare on stage they’ll love her and we’d get that deal. And that would be my chance to make a living out of my music. And it would be Mare’s chance to become the star she wants to be.

This could open the door for our dreams and if it doesn’t work, we just stay where we already are. We don’t really have anything to lose. And if later I get to spend the whole ball with Harry… well, that would be even better.

“Please, Ari. It’s the Summer Ball. Don’t you wanna go? This year the theme is Regency Era! Wouldn’t you like to dance with Harry dressed like Mr Darcy? Wouldn’t that be romantic?”

At her words I can picture that. I can see Harry dressed like that and my heart flutters.

“I promise I’ll help you with everything! The dress, your hair, makeup. Everything! Ari, I really think we can do this.”

I know this means so much to her and can I least do that for my friend? At least try?

“Okay,” I finally agree and Mare is so happy that she hugs me, but the momentum of her impulse takes us to the floor, where both laugh.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you!” Mare says between giggles. “I promise you we’re gonna smash it and after that night the offers will rain on us.”

I only laugh and hug her back. I’m not that optimist but I hope we at least do a good performance and have a good time.

“Then it’s time for us to practice! Come, come. Let me tell you all the details!”

And she does. She tells me all what she’s planned, the people that will help us and her ideas for the show. She’s so creative and throughout, so careful that as she explains what she sees, I get excited myself and I start to believe that this time we’ll make it. This is really the best chance we’ll ever get.

And during the following five days we practice a lot to make it perfect, even the moments she’ll speak to the audience. Every step is carefully planned and with that, she also helps me to get a gown. We find a dress that Renee once used for a theatre performance when she played Emma, from Jane Austen’s novel.

As days pass I get more and more excited and even Harry notices that, but I don’t tell him why. I want to surprise him that night.

“So, the Summer Ball is tomorrow,” I tell him the morning before the ball when he’s come to see me at the lake. “You still going, right?” I ask and he nods.

“I mean, I’m not thrilled but I’m going. Mostly for Niall,” he says and I frown. “Summer Ball is on the same day as Ella’s birthday, so Niall is pretty bummed. He doesn’t want to go but I think it’s a good therapy to face that ball so he can move on.”

“Oh,” I say and think of Niall. Poor boy, he’ll be haunted all night by memories and he’ll miss her so much. How is it going to be for her? Will be Ella thinking of him back there wherever she is now. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” he replies. “It’s better to face your nightmares than staying in your room moping around.”

I nod and look away, resuming my way to the cottage with the clean towels and blankets.

“I still wish you’d come with me,” he mutters and I stop for a second but don’t turn around to meet his eyes.

“I’m sorry,” I say and I don’t mean it because I won’t go, but because I’m hiding that information from him. But of course, he doesn’t know that and that’s why it’ll be a good surprise.

“Yeah, I know. It’s all right,” he says and I resume my walking again, a smile on my lips.

I can’t wait for tomorrow night.

-:-:-

NU: Tuesday