Chapter I

Sirens wail from the car park, much to the dismay of the frantic teachers ushering kids back into their classrooms. I gnaw on my nails anxiously as I watch from the window. Another kid showed up dead today. We think it might be a serial killer, but I'm not sure wether I believe that or not. Nothing like this has ever happened in Lakewood, and nobody new is in town. Rumours are spreading like wildfire, each whispered word lathering the truth with more mystery. I've always been sceptical-now more than ever-and now's my time to show just how observant I can be.

--------------

I shake off my umbrella as I walk through the my front door, wiping my boots on the worn 'Welcome!' mat. Nobody else is home at the moment so I guess I have the house to myself. I plop down on the sofa and pull out my phone, only to be bombarded with thousands of notifications-all gossip about the dead girl that was found today. Well, all except for a few new messages from my homies asking if I wanna go to Starbucks. I type a quick reply: atleast it gives me something to do instead of feeling disturbed by myself. Why not feel disturbed over a latte with your two best friends? The more the merrier.

I get changed out of my school uniform and pick up my wallet before running out into the pouring rain. Luckily I live right next to a sheltered bus stop so I didn't get too wet. Unfortunately, it was still enough to frazzle my hair so, with a groan, I dig out my pocket mirror to fix it. After what seems like an eternity, the bus finally arrives, and I get on gladly. I see a few people from my school but nobody makes a move to talk to me. They all look like they've seen a ghost or something, and it's rather hilarious in my opinion. Not the girl's unfortunate death, obviously, but the reactions it's produced. Many had been shaken to see her in such a state-she was extremely popular-and many had refused to believe it was her. The glamorous, glitzy, notorious Emma Peyton could not possibly dead! But her dying was about as real as gravity, and now nothing in the world can change the events that have passed. When the bus pulls up at the all-too-familiar Starbucks, I feel a sense of relief. Maybe it was the fact that by coming here it felt as if nothing had changed, or maybe it was the fact that I would finally get to see my best girlfriends outside of school after weeks of being grounded (I broke into the local library so I could read a new series at night). I'm the raddest nerd you'll ever meet.

The bell hanging above the door rings quietly when I open it. I smile when I see the two girls nestled into the corner seat we always get, one tall and lean, the other short and adorable. Mia and Layla are some of the only people I couldn't live without. They've stuck around and nearly all the memories I have throughout the 16 years I've lived have been with them; from crying over a broken toy when I stood on it to crying over a bowl of cookie dough ice cream when my first boyfriend dumped me, they've never failed to have my back. I slide into the booth opposite them and Layla pushes a latte in my direction. I groan when I pick it up. "Iriss? Really? I swear, the staff here have the IQ of a drugged chicken!". The girls giggle. Seriously though, they need to hire educated people-some idiot once put 'Chris' on my cup!

Mia stops laughing and leans over the table, showing me her phone. "Have you read this?" She asks, her voice low. I nod my head. Layla puts her fist under her chin and sighs. "Something odd's going on, and I can't say I like it," she mumbles, picking up her drink.

The three of us must spend hours talking, because by the time we finish, it's dark outside. We get up to leave, agreeing on the option of them both staying at my house tonight. However, Layla stops us. "Cutie alert!" She squeals, nodding towards the door. I turn to see who she means. Walking through the door is a boy I've never seen before, which is strange for a town this small.

"That's odd..." Mia and Layla turn to look at me quizzically. "The school explained to us that nobody new had moved to town, and that until the murders were solved, nobody could move in or out. So who the hell is he?" A look of realisation dawns on Mia's face. She sinks back down into her seat, looking afraid, and I can tell what she's thinking. He could be the murderer. I give her a glance that says There's only one way to find out. Before they can stop me, I grab my coat and stalk over to the booth he took a seat at.

"May I ask who you are?" He drawls. That's strange. I didn't say anything to him, and I'm stood behind him. I shake off the feeling that something's not right and lean on the table to face him. "I could say the same to you," I say, dragging it out just as long as he did. He looks amused.

"The name's Reese, Reese Quinton." I stare at him with disgust. "Did you just quote James Bond?" He glares back at me.

"Look, sweetheart, I asked you first, and if I don't get an answer, I'm gonna get real annoyed. Got that?" He leans further in and I awkwardly pull back. I reluctantly take a seat opposite him. "I'm Iris. Iris Hunters, if you really care to know my last name. Now please may you tell me how the hell you managed to get into to town with the new policies." He suddenly bursts out laughing, big, bellowing guffaws that sound throughout the room. Without thinking, I reach to cover his mouth. His skin feels smooth and I look him over. He's tall, maybe 6"1, with styled blonde hair and blue eyes. His right eye has a a slit of prominent brown, and his body is toned. There's no denying he's hot. BUT! He's a huge ass, and he's made an awful first impression.

"That desperate?" He smirks as I remove my hand, to which I roll my eyes. "Whatever," I say, turning to walk back to the girls. I can hear him snickering even from the end of the room.

"Let's go, girls," I command, and they both link arms with me on either side.We walk from the Starbucks laughing, Reese almost completely forgotten...