1.

Winston Churchill made the call

         My neighbors flocked to their boats and vessels in the grey harbor. They carried with them supplies, life jackets, blankets, food, and anything that would fit on the boats. War had hit close to home, and it was now time for the civilians to act. Our soldiers needed us.

         I rummaged through my drafty apartment, gathering anything that I would need for my upcoming trip across the channel. My Father, Commander Bolton of the British Navy, was out there right now on Dunkirk fighting for us. His brave and unafraid blood runs through my veins.

         It is now my turn to act. I kicked my wooden apartment door open with the supply boxes in hand and started down the stairwell to the bustling London street. The family yacht was tied to the dock behind the building. My neighbor and his son were at their boat already, getting ready for their trip. I set the boxes down inside my boat and looked to them across the foot of space between our boats.

        "Load some of those life jackets onto your boat" Mr. Dawson said to me, pointing his finger at the grey jackets resting on the wooden dock. He was an older man with greying hair and a thin face. His son was younger, blonde hair and a square face. I've known them all my life, they are practically family to me"Are you going by yourself?" He asked as I scooped up a handful of jackets.

         "She's not going at all" a strong voice called from over my shoulder. I looked back to see my boyfriend standing there with an angry expression. His fists were balled at his sides. His dark eyes were enraged "We talked about this honey" he said through gritted teeth. Wind swept down the dock. I set the jackets down on the boat, hardly looking at him. He scoffed in anger, making his way to me.

         "I have to go" I stepped back, not letting him touch me "If you won't..." I mumbled "Those soldiers have risked so much for us Arthur, now they need our help. It's our job to rescue them" I tied my dirty blonde hair back with a hair tie to make a ponytail.

         Arthur gestured his hand out to the choppy grey water "Those guys asked for it when they signed up to be in the war-"

        "You should have been out there with them" I hissed "Instead you hid behind your Fathers money to evade the draft"

"You son of a bitch" he growled, coming towards me.

        "Easy now son" Mr. Dawson, my neighbor, stepped in front of him and placed his hand on Arthur's shoulder to hold him back. He was standing on my boat now.

        "My Father is out there right now" I continued, untying the ropes from around the wooden poles. Arther pushed Mr. Dawson's hand away and scoffed "-fighting for our freedom, fighting to end this war so those men can go home to their families. And with his blood in my veins, I'd say I do the same"

        "And you're foolish, just like him. You don't even know those soldier slobs, why the hell would you help them?" Arthur backed away from Mr. Dawson, turning away from him and me "Die out there for all I care. You'll never make it across the channel, you're just a worthless woman" he sneered and stalked back down the dock. His dark hair disappearing into the fog of the city.

         I held the rope in my hands, my eyes dropping down to the floor "Don't listen to him" Mr. Dawson approached with a soft face "Stay close to us while sailing" he motioned to his son and another dark haired boy who was joining them on the trip "We'll get across together"

"Thank you Mr. Dawson" I smiled, placing my hand on his arm "Best of luck, sir"

        He patted my hand and went back to his boat to load the last bit of supplies. I set the rope down on the boat and pushed off from the port using my foot. I went to the interior of the boat where the steering wheel was and stared out across the horizon.

        My Father taught me how to drive this vessel at the young age of nine. Sailing is in my blood. Dark clouds loomed over the channel, signaling that this journey would not be easy. I prayed that my Father was alright. I prayed that the men would be alright, even though a majority of them would more than likely not make it.

I started the engine and sailed out of the port and into the open water.