17. sweet serial killer

Start from the beginning

But she didn't seem to be listening to anything I was saying, which meant trying to reason with her in this state was probably useless, I needed to get through her to talk her out of hurting Kai. I just had to find for the right moment, preferably one when she was back to being her usual loving and compassionate self.

"so we just let him get away with everything he's done?" she asked in a hurtful tone but her eyes quickly grew wider as I figured she began to grasp the implications behind her question and I knew I had to stop her before she realized the real reason behind my protectiveness towards Kai.

"look, Bonnie, you should get some rest and we can talk about this later," I suggested helpfully, avoiding her question and she sighed.

"Maddie, i'm sorry for calling you stupid, I shouldn't have said that, it was bitchy and something not even humanity-less Caroline would say to you" she apologized and I sighed a bit more relieved to see her slowly going back to being her usual self "I guess I'm just tired" she added, as she sat at the end of her bed.

"It's okay, I know you didn't mean it," I reassured her but instead of walking towards her, I headed straight to the door before she could get the chance of saying anything else and I turned around once again before making my way out, it almost felt like I was a criminal running away from a crime scene "but Bonnie," I added and she looked up at me "I know it might be hard to believe but take it from someone who spent three months stuck with him... he's changed and I know I have no right to tell you how to handle what you're feeling right now but... seeing Kai as your enemy is not the right way to do it... I know him, and this might not mean anything to you but he helped us bring you back willingly, he really regrets what he did to you—

"Maddie? Are you awake?" I heard Kai's voice slowly becoming less and less muffled, and I groaned in response, beginning to feel uncomfortable as I began to fully regain consciousness, whatever memory I was dreaming about slipping further and further away.

I tried to answer and I frowned confused when I felt a soft fabric covering my mouth, not allowing me to do much and I opened my eyes, starting to freak out once I noticed I was currently tied to a chair and I immediately tried to set myself free, which was turning surprisingly easy since the tape around my wrists and ankles was fairly loose.

"Maddie?" I heard Kai's voice once again and I quickly looked up at him, my eyes widening in disbelief as I met the steel blue of his eyes. He seemed rather exhausted, his face completely burdened with guilt and concern, still I began to yell at him even if everything I was saying came out as indistinguished shouting.

"I panicked, I didn't know what to do. I'm sorry, i'll untie you as soon as you listen what I have to say" he apologized with every shred of honesty in his voice but I stared at him furiously in response.

I couldn't believe this was actually happening, friends didn't just knock and tie their friends up whenever they found out something bad about them. We were back to the whole captor and hostage dynamic all over again and I was so not here for it.

"I get it, you're mad at me and maybe this was a little too much but what was I supposed to do Maddie? You weren't supposed to find out about it that way, you left me no choice and I didn't want to compel you... you're my friend, I wouldn't do that to you, we trust each other" Kai said sincerely but I just rolled my eyes at him.

Trust each other? How could he even say that when he had lied about who he was from the very beginning. "I'll take this off your mouth, you can scream, cry and do whatever you feel like doing right now but you must promise me you'll let me explain Maddie, please"