Chapter Seven

Unedited.

The sound of crumpling paper, caught the attention that was straying. It seemed to echo through the air that had stilled in surprise.

Setting the crumpled ball back on the podium Sophie stared out at the faces. Running her hands over the sides of the podium nervously, she cleared her throat. "I've lived by one motto my whole life." Her hands were clammy and her legs felt weak. "One problem at a time." She could see people glaring at her, others seemed to scared to meet her eyes. Sophie went to her main source of encouragement and found the front row. Biana gave her a tiny thumbs up, Alden and Della smiled, Grady and Edaline gave her a nod. But Sophie ignored them and looked at her teal eyed cognate partner. "Deep breath." He transmitted calmly taking a deep breath. Sophie copied him and felt her legs steady.

Giving Fitz a thankful smile she turned back to the crowd. "Look, I know the council seems like these all powerful untouchables, but the truth is we aren't." Sophie slipped the circlet of her head and set it on the podium. Stepping down from the podium she went to the front. Facing them as Sophie Foster. She shrugged giving a smile. "We're just like you."  Without the podium between her and the crowd, she felt exposed, and the chill in her spine tingled. "Truth is, we're just as concerned as you. We understand your fears....and we know your uncertainty." Sophie let her gaze sweep over the elves. She spotted a greasy haired Valen with his normal blood of spit at the corner of his mouth.

Despite being grossed out, Sophie recognized his face. It was familiar. She realized nearly half the crowd was familiar. She didn't knows their names, she didn't know who they were, but she recognized them from the swim party. "Yes, as twelve we are stronger than most, but what really makes us powerful is you. Every, single, one, of, you." Sophie said, punctuating her words to get the point across. Her eyes met Ambra's,

"Without your support, your trust and belief we can't do our jobs properly." Sophie walked back up to the podium, having to grab the edge so she didn't trip on the step. "Unrest is the last thing we need. If you start doubting us,  fear starts creeping in...on all of us. Fear can cause irrational decisions, it can cause mistakes to happen, and that is the worst possible thing any of us could do sat this moment. The unity tree is something that represents us as elves, but what's a unity tree without others to compare it too...it's just a tree. What's a council without citizens? We're just twelve elves wearing pinching circlets wearing ridiculous capes." That earned a few chuckles.

"We need you as much as you need us. We need your support as much as you need our strength. The truth is there is a reason to feel uncertain. It's okay to feel fear, and it's okay to be angry...just don't let those emotions rule your better judgement. Know what's important, know that love makes you stronger, and never give up hope. No matter how much you want to let go, no matter how much you want to give up, hang on. If not for yourself do it for your family...for those you love, for a stranger. Don't give up. Don't ever lose the light you add in this darkness, don't stop trying to help others. So as the council we ask you to lend us your strength so we can protect you, give us your support and we will give you hope."

Sophie lifted the circlet. "We're only one elf...but together we can be unbreakable. We may bend, we may crack, but we will not break. Look around you and find a stranger....go make them a friend." Sophie said holding her hand out to the side where the picnic had been laid out. "Give each other hope." Looking down she picked up the crumpled piece of paper, and just as she was about to step down, someone clapped. Before she knew it thunderous clapping filled the air, and people started talking, Sophie could practically feel the tension in the air ease. The council looked over the crowd as they stood. "Not what we expected." Emery said watching as the crowd started heading for the tables.

"But look what it's done." Oralie practically breathed as elves started dishing out food laughing as they cracked jokes, and started playing games. "The tension certainly has calmed." Emery agreed. "My speech wasn't what they needed." Sophie said. "May I have your speech?" Oralie asked holding out her hand. Sophie gave her the crumpled ball of paper. "Thank you." She said as she smoothed it out and folded it before placing it in her pocket. "I think we made the right decision making you councilwoman." Emery told Sophie. "You have them hope, you were the light they needed." He said. Sophie blushed, and scuffed her heel on the platform. "Thanks." Sophie mumbled.