Chapter Twenty

Unedited.

Fitz looked up at Elwin, as Elwin dabbed a salve the large gashing cut over Fitz's nose that ran down his cheek, along with the many others on his face.

"She did it." Elwin breathed. "Our girl did it." He said though he looked as if he were trying hard not to cry. It had been nearly a day, since Fitz and the group of councilors and friends had been swamped by dark elves, the had flooded in the tunnel. They had been the front line defence, and then they had been surrounded. Zarina was just about to get her head lopped off, when all the demons froze before breaking down and falling to piles of gold dust.

Now at the surface people were observing the destroyed city. Fitz sat on a cot getting his wounds tended to, as Biana and Dex limped over to another nearby cot. The warriors were hurt and still in pain. Fitz however was watching for Sophie, as his wounds were checked again. "I can't believe." Elwin laughed, "I can, but I can't." He said. Fitz smiled, "She is amazing." He said, as he stood, he went over to Biana, who still had a thick poultice on her ankle. "How are you?" He asked is sister.

Biana smiled clutching Dex's hand. "I'm alrig-" she was cut off by a shout. "Guys, you won't believe this!" Harley shouted, hardly attracting attention of other elves. Harley was grinning from ear to ear as he stood on a damaged roof of a short building. He was looking towards the edge of the city. Fitz looked up to see Sophie limping forward, her arm in a makeshift sling, behind her like a dutiful bodyguard, Sandor limped behind her. The circlet on Sophie's head was tarnished, her clothes were dirty, sweaty and bloody, large cuts were on her dirty face that glistened with sweat, but to Fitz, Sophie couldn't have looked better. Glancing at Biana, his sister smiled. "Go to her." She said. Fitz stood up and ran to Sophie.

The closer he got, he realized just how injured she was. She wore Sandor's scorched tunic, her own burned one making a sling, and a bandage around her leg. Her arm that was in her sling was bleeding badly. When Fitz got to her "Are you okay?" He asked in a panic, as he looked at Sophie's injuries. He didn't see Sophie slip her circlet off and hand it to Sandor, but he felt her hand on the back of his neck making him stand up, Sophie met his lips with her own. Someone who sounded suspiciously like Keefe whistled, But Fitz wrapped his arms around Sophie and kissed her. He could taste the coppery taste of her blood on her lips, but he kissed her, just as needy as she did him.

It felt as if his mind was melting to his shoes, as the relief of having her back, finally in his arms over took him. Sophie pulled away, and wrapped her free arm around him, resting her head on his shoulder, her lips touching his shoulder, she held on. "I love you." She transmitted. Fitz pressed his own head into her shoulder. "I love you too." He whispered out loud, gently squeezing her. "There is enough time for that later. Physic! Aster! We've got burns here!" Elwin shouted as he ran up. Sophie stepped away from Fitz. She wasn't blushing and she wasn't a stuttering mess. Instead she was sure and positive, she loved him, and that made Fitz's heart flutter and pound, and the smile she gave him, as she stepped beside Sandor made him realize, just how much he loved her. He wasn't going to to stop either.

~

Sophie stared down at the reconstruction of Eternalia. It was nearly finished with everyone working together, including goblins and ogres.

"Hi." Sophie looked up at Fitz as he stood next to her on the hill. "Hi." She said. He held his handout holding up his home crystal. "Come on, I have something for you. We all do." He said. Sophie placed her hand in his.

In Everglen back yard, Sophie found Grady, Edaline, Linh, Tam, Wylie, Dex, Biana, Della and Alden, and Sandor. Sophie looked around in confusion, "We know it won't make up for everything we've done, but we hope..it helps." Edaline said. Sophie frowned in confusion, before a door opened and Keefe came from the side of the house leading a snow white foal. Sophie frowned as the stub on the head then she noticed the wings, she felt her face break in a smile, "Silveny the second." She squealed dropping to her knees. The foal trotted to her, as Silveny and Greyfell barreled from the side of the horse.