Life at the House of Night: Marked: Chapter 8

When the circle closed and the others gathered the candles and smudge stick, they gushed about how prodigious it was (as said by Damien). Strange though. All of them had felt the power of the elements. Would this mean that they were the new generation of the circle? The thought made me smile. That would be cool. Everyone agreed that we needed sleep after what had happened. That was when I saw that Zoey stood there deep in thought from the corner of my eye and stopped walking. The others did the same thing, looking worried then confused.

"Why don't you guys go ahead and sleep?" Zoey asked. "I'll stay right out here for a bit longer."

"We could stay with you," Damien said. "And..."

He got interrupted by Stevie Rae. That girl was so sweet and proper.

"She needs to do some thinkin' on her own." Stevie Rae said. "Wouldn't you if you found out you were the first fledgling to have the affinity for the five elements."

"I suppose..." Damien said, reluctant.

"It's getting light soon." Erin reminded Zoey.

"I'll be at the dorm soon." Zoey smiled at us, assuring us.

As soon as Stevie Rae promised Zoey with a sandwich and pop, they left. I looked over to Zoey. Once she looked back at me, I smiled at her.

"Good job, Zoey." I said. "Rest easy."

Zoey smiled in thanks and I left at that to my room. My stomach began to growl a little, making me sigh. Now it wanted to growl? Ah, well. I went into my room, closing it behind me. My head began to throb again but this time, it was different. I felt as if my humanity was being drained. Was I going to turn into some sort of bloodthirsty monster?

I looked down at my hands as I got on my knees. My vision began to blur as I felt darkness envelop me. I had to take off the blindfold and face this darkness head on. I told Light that I would and a promise was a promise. Well... Now or never. I struggled to take off the blindfold by raising my hand slowly.

"Darkness that has chosen me to be its carrier, help me fend off the darkness that is trying to do me harm!" I said quietly, taking off my blindfold completely.

The darkness that had laid dormant inside of me began to create a shield around me, destroying the darkness that was suffocating me. After it was gone and my darkness went away, I began to cough violently. I coughed blood into my hands and tried to breath normally again. When I did, I covered my eyes with the blindfold, causing for my body to stop trembling.

So that was the darkness that I have with me. Somehow, I knew it would be like a double-edged sword. That didn't matter now. Where did that evil darkness come from? It made me think for only a while until a light began to shine, blinding me for a second before seeing Nyx standing in front of me.

"My daughter, you have done well." Nyx said, giving me a warm smile. "I never doubted that you could control darkness that is good."

"Why did you give me this affinity though?" I asked, feeling a little frustrated. I looked down as I sigh. "I feel as if I would lose myself and destroy myself... or worse."

"I did so because despite the fact that you were indeed Ailesor, I knew I wouldn't regret my decision." Nyx placed a hand on my shoulder softly. "You are strong, Red, both in mind and body. Yes, you were raised as someone of religion but I have watched you, observing you until the time had come to Mark you. The question is this, however. Would you keep on fighting the side of evil with your own darkness, knowing of what the effects are, or would you let it take over?"

"I'm gonna keep on fighting." I looked up to give her a truthful look. "There's no way that I'm gonna let evil get to me." I suddenly realized something. "But wait. Who did summon the darkness that attacked me?"