Life at the House of Night: Marked: Chapter 2

I reached my literature class and went in. Zoey, Damien, and another friend of theirs were sitting down and looking towards me. Their friend was a girl with short, blonde hair as well as having somewhat of a cowgirl theme going on with her outfit as well as her school uniform. I moved to sit down next to Damien.

"Red, so nice of you to join us." The professor greeted. I am Professor Penthesilea. I believe you know Zoey and Damien and there is Stevie Rae."

I nodded but began to feel cold again all of a sudden. It felt...really cold. I started to feel like I was out of breath. Without even noticing what I was doing, I grabbed the blindfold and covered my eyes, immediately feeling better afterwards.

"Will you be okay now that you have that on you?" Professor Penthesilea asked.

Well, crap. So much for not having attention drawn to myself. ...What the... I can still see everyone despite having the blindfold on! What type of blindfold is this?!

"Yes." I answered, doing my best to speak calmly.

"Very well." Professor Penthesilea looked relieved. "We shall now read Chapter one of A Night to Remember."

We grabbed ourselves a copy before starting to listen to Professor Penthesilea as she read. What is going on with me? Blindfolds were supposed to be thick. People couldn't see through them. ...Then again, I didn't have these in my pocket before. Could they be from Nyx?

And that Kalona person. What ever became of him? I called him "Master" as if I was his follower. Was I? My train of thought broke as soon as Damien gave me a note. I moved my head to look at his writing. Damn, he had good handwriting compared to me.

Are you OK?

I used my pen so I could write back to him.

I hope so.

I gave it back to him and started to think again. Shockingly, the book wasn't that bad. Everything around me suddenly became dark, the people of the class gone. I didn't even see Zoey, Damien, and Stevie Rae. It was then that I began to hear a bird's noise. Not just any bird, but a raven.

"Missstresss Ailessssor, you will sssserve Father again." A voice came from behind me, sounding... both human and inhuman.

"Leave her be!" Another voice called out, this one sounding more human than the first.

"I know you love her, Matthiassss, but she issss ssssecond in command and will never fall in love with you!" The first voice cackled.

Everything went back to normal again as the bell for the end of the third hour rang. The three walked up to me as soon as they joined me outside.

"Are you okay, Red?" Zoey looked at me with a worried expression. "You were trembling."

"I'm not sure." I shrugged. "I'll be fine for now."

I wondered to myself for how long though.

"What's your next class?" Stevie Rae asked, having an Okie accent. "Maybe one of us could help you."

"Fencing." I answered.

"Zoey and I have that class." Damien said. "Let's all go together."

It's like they have accepted me as a part of their family. I nodded as I followed them to the gymnasium. A tall male vampyre with tattoos like dragons framed his face and looked as if they were breathing fire around his Mark walked over to greet us, but he looked kind.

"You must be Zoey and Red." He smiled at us. "I am Professor Dragon Lankford. For young women, a foil is used. It is light and easy to use. Did you know that they can compete with young men?"