Life at the House of Night: Marked: Chapter 6

I woke up and stretched before getting ready for the night. I swear, me taking a shower before breakfast and class always woke me up. I thought I was just strange like that. As soon as I was ready, I left to the cafeteria to meet up with the others. Even though I was awake, I still yawned. I guess old habits didn't die too easily because I still remembered when I always yawned sometimes throughout the day. Once I got my cereal and yogurt, I saw the others at the table talking about something. I went toward them and sat by Zoey.

"Wow, Red." Stevie Rae blinked as she looked at me. "You look different in a good way."

"I may have had some help by two little birds." I smiled at the Twins, who grinned back at me. I looked over to group again. "So what's been going on?"

"Zoey here is reconnoitering by joining the Dark Daughters with the hags from hell," answered Damien.

I tried not to choke on my water from laughing due to meeting one of them last night. I thought... pf just keeping what happened private for now. Instead, I acted calmly.

"I see." I said. "Well, in a way, it could have its advantages and disadvantages."

"She does have us to help Zoey out." Stevie Rae scowled at the Twins.

Zoey gave a smile of thanks to the both of us before saying, "I kinda have an idea."

I raised a brow at her questioningly as the others looked at her.

"Um..." She began to explain. I could tell she was a little nervous. "I thought of doing an ancient purification ritual based on the Cherokees and ask for Nyx to help with a plan."

My head started to throb on many things. Cherokee... That's right... Her last name was Redbird. I was such an idiot... Then I heard her words as soon as I was done zoning out.

"I think I could feel the five elements." Zoey said.

I blinked. So she felt them after all but the others' expressions were shocked so I assumed that they didn't feel them.

"So it didn't have to deal with hitting your head on the ground!" Shaunee explained.

"Good gossip right there." Erin said.

"No one should know!" Zoey said.

"It would bring unwanted attention and that's the last thing we need right now." I nodded in agreement with Zoey.

"I don't think there's any record of a High Priestess that has all five elements as their affinity." Damien's voice got a little excited. What was he getting at? "That means you probably would be the most puissant High Priestess known to vampyres!"

He... totally lost me at "puissant." Jeez... Was he good at vocabulary? If he was, I thought of calling him Webster.

"Strong or powerful." He explained. "You might have the potential to get rid of Aphrodite!"

I was guessing that Aphrodite was the one that I walked into last night. Could make sense.

"When and where are we gonna do the purification thing?" Stevie Rae asked, looking at Zoey.

"We?" Zoey repeated, sounding surprised and confused.

"You're not in this alone, remember?" Stevie Rae replied.

I smiled at Stevie Rae's answer. She had a point. All of us were a team now. They helped me see that.

"You need us," said Damien. "Even the puissant High Priestess needs her circle."

"I wasn't really planning to cast a circle." Zoey said. "I was just going to do a purification prayer."

"Could you just cast a circle then pray to ask for Nyx's help?" Stevie Rae suggested.