Chapter Seven: Paralytic Toxins and Catalytic Converters

Scott and I stood in the animal clinic with confusion all over our faces. Deaton was in a hurry and rushed to grab a bottle of clear liquid with a few cotton balls.

"They're coming back, so we don't have much time to talk." He said to my brother and I as he dabbed Scott's wound from Derek.

"What is that?" Scott and I asked simultaneously.

"Rubbing alcohol. You don't want it to get infected, do you?" Deaton asked and Scott shook his head anxiously.

"You will heal the same, just not as quickly, because of Derek." Deaton stated.

"Okay, how do you know all this? Actually, how– How do you know anything?" Scott asked as Deaton rushed to place the liquid back on the counter.

"It's a longer story. What I can tell you, is that I know about your kind.

Your kind... I can help. 

This.... This is something different." Deaton said as he motioned to the dead man on the metal table before us.

"Well, do you know what did it?" I asked as I cringed away from the body. I was beginning to panic from everything happening at once.

"No. But the Argents will. And this is the crucial part, they'll have a record or book. It'll have descriptions, histories, notations, of all the things that they've discovered." Deaton spoke with full seriousness.

"All the things? How many different things are there?" I asked in frustration along with confusion.

Before I got my answer, we heard a car pull up to the clinic. My eyes went wide with horror and Scott grabbed me by the hand, pulling me out of the room to hide in the back.

Scott pushed me behind him as he listened carefully as footsteps entered the examination room we had just been in.

"I'm starting to think I need to buy a more prominent "closed" sign." Deaton spoke as Scott and I peaked through the glass window of the door.

I noticed Mr. Argent and Allison's grandfather, Gerard, had just walked in along with a few others I didn't recognize.

"Hello, Alan. It's been a while. The last I heard, you had retired." Gerard's salty voice spoke clearly.

"Last I heard you followed a code of conduct." Deaton replied. I had to stifle a laugh. Go Deaton.

"If you hadn't noticed, this body is one of ours." Mr. Argent said carefully.

"I did, I also noticed the gunpowder residue on his finger tips. So don't assume I will be swayed by your philosophy just because I'll answer a few questions." Deaton said in a serious tone. I glanced at Scott who looked as confused and concerned as I felt.

"He was only 24." Mr. Argent said with a slight tone of sadness in his voice.

"Killers... come in all ages." Deaton stated.

"All ages, sizes, shapes. It's the last one that concerns us." Gerard countered.

"How about you tell us what you found?" Mr. Argent intervened.

Deaton made his way over to the body on the examination table. He carefully took the man's head in his hands as he stood behind him.

"See this cut?" Deaton asked as he turned the man's head so quickly that I heard a snap. I cringed and tried to focus on only Deaton's words.

" Precise. Almost surgical. This isn't the wound that killed him. This had a more interesting purpose." Deaton continued.

Gerard had put on a pair of glasses as he examined the small cut on the neck of the victim. "Relating to the spine." Gerard noted.