Chapter 2

Chapter 2

No tears escaped my eyes as I watched the landscape of my country pass before me through the plane's window.  I knew that I had to be strong, and I was determined to do so.  I sighed, turning away from the window and buckling myself in.  The plane I was in was the royal airplane, used for trips to other countries.  It was a bit obvious that I had to be in it, but obviously there was some kind of plan in action as well.  Surely the raiders would assume I was in my own plane escaping.  Of course, that might be part of the plan.  Because I would probably take another plane to escape, they may believe this to be a decoy and ignore it.  If my thinking is correct, being in this plane and not some unmarked one may actually save my life.

As I settled down into my seat, I pulled my legs onto the seat with me as well.  I got comfortable, knowing that it may be a while before I was resting in something so soft and plush as the seats in the plane.  There was a little cooler hidden inside the table on my right, and I pulled a bottle of water from it.  My throat was parched after running through the soot filled streets. 

As I drank, my eyes were yet again pulled to the window.  Down below I could see the village up in smoke, bright flames licking at the sky.  Flames were at the palace walls, but I knew that it would be safe due to being made of stone.  I was much more worried about my people.  How many would perish tonight due to the flames and smoke?  How many would be unable to make it out with their lives?  How many would die after the villainous people who did this took over my kingdom?  How many of my people would be dead before I was able to return?

With these thoughts swirling through my mind, I felt the tears and nausea rising up within me, but I held them both down with a force of will.  I would not allow myself to break down, I had to be strong and last until it was time to fight for my kingdom.  I was so absorbed in watching the kingdom burn that I didn’t even notice the person behind me until their hand was on my shoulder.  Quickly, I grabbed their arm and threw it off, turning to look at the person. 

It was Tomás Ello, my teacher and friend for all of my life.  He had taught me everything I know about being a queen, as well some other things that I may find I need more.  He had taught me how to drive, how to fist fight, and how to shoot a gun.  Those things may be the greatest lessons of all in the next few months.  Tomás has always been my friend, even though he is twenty years my senior.  He has always been there for me, much as he is now.  Ripping off my seatbelt, I jumped up and into his arms.

“It’s ok Callissa, let it all out if you want to.  It’s just us, no one else will know.”  He said softly.  I looked up into his brown eyes and hair, seeing his worry and feeling my heart break.  I didn’t want anyone to worry about me, but for the people below the plane right now.  They were my priority.

“Thank you Tomás but I’ll be ok.  Just, try and help as many villagers as you can while I’m gone.  But, please don’t put yourself in danger to do it.  I don’t know what I’d do if something happened to you.”  I said with a sigh as I lay my head back down on his chest.  I could feel him sigh back.

“Of course my queen, you know I would do anything to help.  But just so you know, if something were to happen to me, you would be strong and just have even more reasons to get our country back.  I trust you to fight through this Callissa, and I know that you can.  As I’m sure Rosie told you, we will be back for you as soon as it’s time.  You’ll know when it’s time dear, I promise.  Now why don’t you relax here while I tell you a little more about what’s going on ok?”  He said, gently pushing me back into my seat.  I nodded and buckled back up as he sat on my left.

“As you know, we want you to keep yourself hidden for a few months.  We want the raiders to believe that you have either died, or given up.  Once they do, and they don’t believe that you’re ever coming back, they’ll drop their guard.  They won’t be half as worried about attacks once the people believe that you’ve given up on them.  The people will lose faith, and be less likely to revolt.  I know that you don’t want your people to give up on you, but it’s part of the plan my queen.”  Tomás said quietly, watching my reaction intensely.  I knew that we had to do it this way, and that it may be hard for me to win the people’s trust back, but it was the only way.