07

0 7

AUDRIANA PROPPED HERSELF up on her elbows, turning her body slightly so she was staring down at Riccardo, an affectionate smile on her face.

Not for the first time, she found herself in awe of his golden skin and thick chestnut mane- the warm rays of the sun highlighted the bronze streaks in his hair, the same ones he'd denied repeatedly in exasperation were merely a birthright, and not the result of dye.

As if sensing her gaze, his eyes flicked open, lips curving into the beginnings of an alluring smile and his eyes radiant. He rolled over on his side and lazily lifted his arm to brush the stray hair out of her eyes, letting his fingers skim the side of her face.

Riccardo's smile widened when she closed her eyes- his own running across her bare, bronzed shoulders and exposed collarbones, the curve of her breasts were teasingly visible through the low cut top, and not for the first time, he forced his gaze away from her chest.

They'd hardly spoken since his confession. He'd imagined she'd be hurt and admittedly, had expected a few tears but she'd cried - angrily. Her running mascara had left thick black streaks down her face and he'd been in awe of her beauty, in admiration of how she managed to retain her captivating looks despite the tears.

"That is so selfish of you-!" She'd shed bitter tears, pushing him away from her whilst she struggled to meet his intense stare. 

"There's nothing for me here." He'd offered gently.

"There's me! I'm here, Riccardo!"

"It's not enough-." He had forced himself to stop- he'd once confessed his feelings for her but she'd regarded them as a joke, laughing loudly and hanging off some jackass's arm.

She was an enticing girl and with that came the unwanted attention of testosterone fuelled boys with one agenda. It wasn't as though he was incapable of being desired, quite the opposite in fact. His classically handsome, Italian looks and athletic physique allowing him to be at the centre of the girls gossip. It just hurt that the girl he wanted had eyes for everyone besides him.

So it made him happier than he cared to admit, that she'd willingly agreed to meet him for his birthday, before he was deployed for almost a year.

In true Audriana style she'd prepared a picnic for them, complete with a varied platter of meats and an exquisite dessert selection. It was a strange feeling watching her come into sight, thick hair and skirt billowing in the wind. His stomach had tightened uncomfortably, it physically pained him to have her so close, but so damn far.

"I got you something." She said, smiling brightly.

"You did?"

"Don't act so surprised, Salvatore. When have I ever missed your birthday?" She spoke as she rummaged in the picnic basket, before pulling out a small, plush box. He sat up straight, locking his fingers with hers.

"Open it."

The deep purple box opened with a satisfying click and Audriana sat on her knees so she could better catch his reaction. When he let the silver chain snake through his fingers- he let his thumb rub across the word attached to it.

"Someday."

She outstretched her hand and he passed her the chain, bending his head forward and allowing her to put it on him.

"Someday, you'll have finished your tour. Someday, you'll achieve everything you want to in this 'deadbeat town.' And someday," she was furious with herself when her breath hitched and she swallowed a sob, "someday Riccardo, you'll come back home, to me, and I'll be waiting for you."