~ (17) A Game of Survival (Part II) ~

Arisa's heart sped as the scream drilled her ears.

She rushed through the flames not too far from her, fighting against the quake that threatened to make her fall again. As the cry of pain intensified, she used her ability and bent the flames, creating a path. The flames twisted as if a wind was pushing them.

Her eyes were horrified by what she saw. The masked boy fought against the fire that was consuming part of his body.

Arisa rushed towards him. Somehow her compassion strengthened her will to fight against the quake, forcing her not to fall until she reached her target. When she approached the boy that was on the ground, she raised her arm and released her ability.

An orange light with a distorted image surrounded them as a mini dome. With her other hand, she tried to absorb the heat of the flames that were eating part of the boy's body.

As the flames calmed, the boy attempted to get rid of them by rolling on the burned grassy ground.

"I'm sorry," said Arisa, swallowing the lump that was forming in her throat.

As the flames died down, Arisa could see the burns on his body.

Fresh wounds of burnt flesh appeared on his left arm and part of his chest. Thanks to his clothing, he avoided deeper wounds. If she hadn't reached him in time, those flames would have eaten his chest even deeper—reaching his heart.

"Don't be. It's not your fault," said the boy, his tone still in pain.

Arisa fought to hold her focus as she fell once again.

"Arisa," called Nina.

Arisa glanced at her side and spotted three figures coming from the burning flames.

"Guys, you're okay," said Arisa, relieved.

She increased the diameter of her dome as the others joined them.

"What happened to you?" asked Nina, her gaze set on the masked boy.

"It's my fault," replied Arisa. "I was distracted and the fire got him."

The earth shook again and everyone fell. Even though she fell on the ground again, Arisa kept her hand raised to make sure everyone was protected.

"What's going on? We can't move like this!" complained Thelma.

"It must be a Guardian gifted with the element of earth," replied Bastian.

"Taurus," whispered the masked boy to himself.

"At this rate, they won't find anyone worthy to kill personally," said Thelma. "Do you think you can handle protecting us until this Guardian stops making fun of us?"

Arisa glanced at the dark soil. "I'm sorry. I'm not sure if I'll have enough magical energy to take us away from this place until then."

"Makes sense," said Bastian. "You've been using your ability for more than an hour. I wouldn't be surprised if you told us that you're tired now."

Maybe it was the adrenaline, but Arisa didn't feel any heaviness in her body. Although she was sure that at a certain point her body would give up.

"Then that's it; we will die here," cried Nina.

"I'm sorry, Nina," replied Bastian. "This must be our fate."

"But I don't want to die!" Nina's voice cracked as she sobbed. "My family is waiting for me."

Arisa saw Thelma approaching the red-headed girl and embracing her in a consoling hug. Arisa understood Nina, her family must have been happy to know that she was chosen as a candidate. She guessed that they must be waiting for Nina with high expectations, like her family.