five

thanks for reading! just a quick author's note as this story continues to gain traction...

this story is considered lolita-esque, but is NOT at all romanticizing or condoning the actions within this book.

this story is about an unprofessional, inappropriate and extremely wrong relationship/love story between a 13-14 year old girl and her teacher.

with that being said, it is much like a novel "My Dark Vanessa" if any of have you have read/heard of that book, this is very much in the same vein. not condoning or romanticizing the love, but very much just giving perspective to it and how complicated love can be.

just to reiterate, he is grooming her, he is a pedophile. there will be repercussions to this.

please vote and comment! this story is still ongoing!!

xoxo

"Iris get down here right now!" My mom's panicked voice shrieks from the bottom of the stairs and I pull out my earbuds and immediately rush down to see what happened. Her eyes are wide and my dad is slightly glaring at me but I just ignore it, gulping as I sit down at the island counter with them.

    "What's up?" I ask nonchalantly and she just scoffs, holding up her phone to me.

    "What's up? I don't know, Iris, why don't you tell us?" She snaps and my mom's usual playfulness has waned, leaving me with the harsh, demanding mother I hate.

    "I don't know what you're talking-"

    "You skipping PE for the past two weeks?" My dad butts in, not as angry, but helping me out. Swallowing nervously, I scold myself for being so stupid. How could I think they would never find out?

    "Your teacher said that you've gone to third period three times in the past two weeks. Three times Iris!" She shouts and I notice my dad glaring angrily over at her. God, I hope I wasn't the beginning of another one of their fights...

    "I don't know what you want me to say..." I stutter, glancing at both of them uncomfortably. Goddammit, Ryder. What have you gotten me into?

    "How about you start by explaining why in the hell you were absent for weeks on end from your class?" She seethes and I start to think that her hand is shaking so violently that her phone will fall out of her hand.

    "I...I was just ditching, I guess." I decide to be somewhat honest, knowing that bringing up Mr. Ryder would only lead her to call him.

    "Ditching? That's so unlike you, Iris. What would make you wanna do that?" My mom scoffs, somewhat calmed down but still not placated.

    "The teacher, I guess?" Again, not a full lie. She just shakes her head, taking a seat next to my dad at the bar who just stares at me with a hard look in his eyes - judging and as if he can see right through me. After a few moments of silence, she speaks again.

    "I'm...going to try and fix this. But I need you to tell me where you were going every day and what you were doing and who you were with."

    "Mom!"

    "I need them to back up your story."

    "It's the truth, I swear." I plead, knowing that my friends would back me up in an instant but still not wanting to get them involved in my mess.

    "She's not lying, Nadine. Look at her eyes. Can't you just take her word for it?" My dad sides with me and I'm telling you, if looks could kill...my mom just incinerated my dad on the spot.

    "I know what kids do these days and don't think I don't! We did the same thing when we were younger."

    "Then why would it matter even if I was doing those things?" - my dad widens his eyes - "-which I don't do. But even if I did, why would it matter? Since you said you did those same things yourself?" I counter and she just rolls her eyes, shaking her head. And she wonders where I got my attitude from?

"Because you're 13, Iris! And don't argue with me on this!"

"I'm just saying, your logic doesn't really-"

"Stop! Enough! Just go to your room." She snaps and I'm never one to just bow down to someone yelling at me...but in this moment I've never moved so fast. As soon as I shut my door, I hear my parents raised voices and immediately throw myself against my bed and scream into a pillow. All of this because of one teacher. Dammit. Why did I ever think that was a good idea? Oh right, because Mr. Ryder persuaded me into thinking that. Well, I'm never making that mistake again.

➢➢➢

    "So are you grounded?" Bianca gasps, clearly troubled at the idea that I might miss her upcoming party.

    "I'm not sure, they're still not done screaming at each other," I sigh, lying on my back and facing the ceiling, placing my phone on my chest.

    "Damn. I'm really sorry, girl." She expresses genuinely and I find myself sighing again.

    "It's whatever. It just sucks that I caused this. Yet another fight between them. Their relationship is already so strained...I'm just afraid that-" I bite my lip, cutting myself off from that thought. No. I can't think like that.

    "Afraid that what?" Bianca's curious voice speaks over the phone and I pinch the bridge of my nose - wishing I never said anything.

    "I'm just afraid that they can't take much more of this. Pretty soon....one of these fights is gonna snap their already fragile marriage in half." I admit, biting my lip again.

    "What! No, I'm sure they'd never-I mean are things really that bad?" She sounds utterly shocked at the idea of a divorce. I guess that's to be expected. Her family life is about as good as the ones you see on TV.

    "I don't know...probably not. Just forget I said anything," I try to brush off the idea and she quickly presses onto the next topic.

    "You know none of this would've happened if you would've just come with us to PE." She points out and I roll my eyes, already knowing this.

    "I'm well aware of this, B."

    "I know, I know. I'm just saying. Maybeyou shouldn't be so close with him. I mean it is kind of weird, he's kind of obsessed with you..." She trails off and I can hear the nerves in her voice as she talks about this. I feel a slight bit of defensiveness creeping up in me but I try my best to keep it at bay.

    "Why would you say that?" I question, not trying to come off snarky but failing miserably at it.

    "I...I-well, you know. You just kept telling us all that weird stuff that he was saying and doing and-"

    "You don't even know him." I defend and automatically I find myself cringing at the tone of my voice. Why? Why do I feel the need to defend him?

    "What's up with you lately, Iris? You've been so different since this year started. Does Mr. Ryder have anything to do with it?" I know her questions are only here to help me but I can't feel kind of offended by what she's saying.

    "I'm fine. Nothing's changed - I'm fine." I quickly snap before hurriedly hanging up on the call and tossing my phone to the side. Right as I reach for another pillow to scream into, my phone rings again.