Chapter Three

The muddy ground was damp as the gray fog danced with the moist air. Chills climbing up her spin gave her a feel that something wasn't right. And something wasn't.

Like everyone, she knew that it was selfish for the prince to take women for himself. People didn't show their disagreement as much as she, but deep down their must have been a spit of fire for the royal family.

Looking around everone's gaze was settled on her. Holding her chin up high and stalking over to the kings men, she sent them a hard gaze. Noticing that the price wasn't there, she huffed with annoyance.

"So his grace couldn't grant us with his presents" the sarcasm rolled off her tongue. She glanced around the men, waiting for one to answer, but all she got was icy glares from the kings men. The men were all dressed alike, silver armor clung to their muscled skin, having the kingdoms symbol embroider into the armor. One man did standout though, one who she happened to despise, Sir Humphrey, the kings adviser. But he wasn't just an adviser to the king, he tried to control other people to, like her father.

When Sir Humphrey happened to discuss with her father about how her father should run his village, Cassie was livid. There was always an arrogance in his aura, and a strut in his walk. Sir Humphrey just had to much pride in himself.

Sir Humphrey jumped off his horse and strutted to Cassie. "My Lady, what seems to be the problem". He spoke with a force smile.

"It just so happens that the Prince couldn't visit one of his villages" She sneered.

A dark look cast in the King's advisers eyes as he walked past Cassie to reach the podium. He gazed across the crowd while looking down upon them, literally.

"Today we shall be choosing two lucky contestants to win his majgest's heart." Sir Humphrey chirped. "It is our deepest concern that he finds a compatible mate, or even better his true mate. His grace ends his deepest apologies for not attending this historical event, he has many affairs to deal with"

"Yeah, "affairs" Cassie muttered.

She watch Sir Humphrey feed her people lies. Of course everyone in the village would believe anyone who wore the royal coat of arms. She couldn't help, but if disgusted with everyone. Many people did despise the royal court, but you had those certain few that would believe anything. Mostly the young woman, around Cassie age, would do anything to be the Prince's mate, or anyone who was considered royalty.

So lost in thought, Cassie didn't realize that Sir Humphrey's speech was over and young girls had been called over to be examined. Each girl in her village, between the age of fifteen to eighteen, were being examined. Of course only two girls would be chosen from each village, so you could see the heat and determination between each girl. 

With sweaty hands and nervous eyes, she slowly made her way over to be examined. They began to measure height, weight, and waist. She then was placed over with few other girls to take a test. Cassie knew she didn't want anything to do with the Prince, since his grace and a few of his most trusted would be examining these test to get their results. Trying her hardest to guess everything the Prince hated most she felt happy with her results, hopping they would come back negative. 

In a fortnight it would all be over, hopefully she would not be picked, but instead someone who really wanted it. In a fortnight she wouldn't have to stress or be constantly worried. In a fortnight she would be free.

Making her way back to the other girls she couldn't help but feel the cold stares on her. "I do hope to see you soon, My Lady." Sir Humphrey chilling voice spoke from behind her. 

Cassie counldn't help but shiver as she turned to look at him.  "As do I." She said both forcing pleasant smiles.

"It would be a shame if you weren't pick, woudn't it." He said tauntingly.

She held her tongue back, who knows what they would do if you spoke against the crown. "A shame it would be." she agreed.

But for Cassie, it would be an honor. 

*****************************************

Thanks you all for waiting so long. Hopefully I'll have the next one up real soon. Since summer is around the corner, once school gets out I'll have more frequent up dates. Please don't forget to comment and vote! :)

Under the Pale MoonOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara