Prologue

Everyone knew the reason why the prince could be so cold hearted, because he couldn't find his mate. After years of searching, his hope of finding her was slowly dying. Not only did this cause pain to him, but also to the other royals. Since giving up once not an option, every ten years girls from the surrounding villages are chosen to stay at the castle so he could have a better chance of finding her, his soul mate.

*********************

10 years ago (age 7). Narrators POV

Cassiopeia ran. That was the only thing she could think to do at this moment, she ran into the darkness of the night, with the moon as her only source of guidance. But what she didn't know was that someone was watching close by.

As she reached her favorite spot in the forest, a clearing with flowers that surrounded her as she laid. She watched the night sky, counting the stars and taking in the moonlight. If only she wasn't caught up in the twinkling of the stars, she would have noticed the beast that watched her. Feeling an unknown presence she quickly sat up, but only to be towered over by the large wolf. She knew it wasn't some ordinary wolf, it was a shifter and the largest one she had ever seen.

Every male in her family was a werewolf, since female couldn't shift, but unlike her father and brothers who had a brown autumn like fur coat, this beast had a dark midnight coat that looked like silk. When she looked at his face, her eyes came in contacted with his, a forest green color that had her hypnotized. Breaking out of the trance, she slowly backed up only from which a low growl stopped her. Cassiopeia knew not to get a werewolf irritated, nothing good would come of it. Don't show fear, she thought over and over in her mind. But before she knew it the wolf jumped back into the foggy forest.

Relief struck her for a few seconds before a large man stepped out into the clearing, only to replace the wolf. The man towered over her and had the same haunting green eyes as the wolf, for this man was the wolf. She studied him, he had dark black tousled, compatible to the wolfs dark silk like fur. His attire was similar to those of the villagers, since the towns people left clothes around to change after they were finished shifting, he must have taken some of theirs. A black cloth tied around his face, only letting his bright green eyes and tip of his nose down be shown.

She opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out. Cassiopeia didn't know if she should scream and run away from this handsome stranger, or let curiosity win and find out who this man was. But before she could make her choice, the stranger appealing voice spoke.

"Isn't it a bit a late for little girls to be wondering the forest at this hour?" he questioned.

Cassiopeia scoffed, taking little girl as an insult. "I suppose it is, but what about you? Isn't it a bit late for men to be prancing around the forest at this time of night."

He seemed to find this amusing and began to chuckle. "I guess your right, how about we both tell each other why were out of bed at this time of night." Cassiopeia was heisted about this, but surly nodded her head in agreement.

"My parents separated me from my best friend" she spoke softly. When he didn't speak up she continued. "Beck, he was my horse and my best friend, but they sold him" she harshly whispered.

The man touched her shoulder slightly, she flinched. His touch brought electric tingles through her body, make her toes curl. "Maybe they sold him, because the taxes were too high" he said uneasy, a guilty look in his eyes.

Cassiopeia snapped. She wasn't poor, her parents didn't need the money. Her father was the alpha of this small village. "We didn't sell him for the money! My brother was ridding him and fell off" she spat. "He doesn't like anyone else to ride him except me, it my fault my brother broke his arm an now Beck's gone." And then Cassiopeia did the one thing he never did, she broke out in tears.

"Hey don't cry now, it's going to be all right." He whispered, holding the small girl in his arms.

She realized she was in the arms of a stranger, and she didn't want to let go, but she did. "How do you know it's going to be all right?" She questioned, rubbing her eyes.

"Because every now and then a good friend leaves us, but a greater one comes along. But we always, always must keep them in our hearts" he said, giving her a small smile.

She laughed "That was so cheesy, but it helped."

Hearing the sound of the child's laughter brought an even bigger smile to his face. "Cheesy always works, trust me."

"And why should I trust you, you could be some kidnapper" she questioned, raising an eyebrow.

He laughed "If I was a kidnapper wouldn't I have taken you by now. Don't worry I'm not going to hurt you." He said, put into his hands up to show her.

"Said the hunger hunter to the deer"

He smirked at her response. This girl of about seven years of age had him wondering. She was smart and quick witted for as young as she was.

"I don't even know you name Sir, shouldn't we tell each other are names so we won't class each other as strangers" she asked.

He was hesitant. "How about we make up name for each other, so we don't have to be the same people we are at home. We can truly be ourselves" Cassiopeia really liked this idea, and quickly nodded her head in agreement.

For a couple moments they just starred at each other, trying to come up with the best names. To out do each other. Final the man spoke. "Hmmmm how about Vi, short for Violet since your eyes are that color" Cassie admired this name and gave him a big smile.

It was Cassie's turn now. "Gray"

He gave her a strange look "Gray, really?" he questioned, she nodded her head yes. "Why Gray?"

She smiled. "If you keep coming back here, once a week on the same day, I'll tell you" she replied.

He stuck out his hand and she quickly grabbed it, making the deal. Excitement filled her as she thought of all the questions she would ask and the stories that they would tell. But neither of them knew what fate had in store for them. 

*********************

So that was the first part, hoped you liked it! It will get better though. Please vote and comment.